File Repository for Teachers

File Repository for Teachers

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Number of replies: 10
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
My apologies, if this is the most obvious question asked for the tenth time ;)

I'm looking for a personal file repository per teacher.
- The interface has to be webdav-like, one shoule be able to upload directories trees as they were local. Could be browser-based, or from another client which should run on Linux, Mac OS X and Windows.

- Teachers must be able to link those files in their courses.

- Only participants in those courses should have access to those ressources.

Is there a module for this already? Or the http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:File_API the solution? In which case, I have to upgrade to Moodle 2.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Re: File Repository for Teachers

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
1) Exposing the Files in 2.0 via WebDAV is planned.

2) Some code that already does that in 1.9 is around, with some effort. Look at http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=89123 and MDL-90

3) In Moodle 2.0 you can also set up plugins so that Moodle can access a SAMBA share, a folder on the server, or a WebDAV source, or many other repositories. So there are many possibilities there.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Hi Martin

Thanks for the clarification.

So the path is through Moodle 2. Right now we are in the process of upgrading to 1.9 from 1.6! I gather these interfaces need some testing on 2.0 before going to production. Will keep in touch.

Hi all

I haven't found a satisfactory solution yet. Let me rephrase the question. What we are looking for is a DMS which is authenticated from the same LDAP system as our Moodle. It may or may not be SSO, also a tight integration with Moodle is not necessary. All we need is a versioned repository for files to be shared amoung the teachers.

Please see the OP http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=134428 for other requirements.

What are our alternatives?

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Visvanath;

I am not sure if it would meet your requirements, but I have been looking at the community release (Open Source) of KnowledgeTree...

http://www.knowledgetree.org/Main_Page

It ties into LDAP nicely and it's main function is a versioning file repository...

Jon
In reply to Jon Witts

Hi Jon

Thanks for the hint. But it looks like, KnowledgeTree is not supported on 64 bit Linux http://forums.knowledgetree.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19996

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Visvanath,

I will admit I have only tried on a 32bit virtual test machine; but this wiki page here states that 64 bit Server is OK ... http://www.knowledgetree.org/KnowledgeTree_Version_3.7#Platform_Requirements and that it is only for their stack install that only 32 bit is supported...

I will give it a go with a 64bit virtual machine and see where I get...

Jon
In reply to Jon Witts

by Jon Witts -
OK, so I have the base install of Knowledge Tree working on a 64bit Ubuntu but I still need to get the OpenOffice headless server running. Once I have it working I will post my steps up to a blog or the KnowledgeTree wiki so that you can have a look at it. But it is looking like it will be possible to get it running on 64bit if you go the long way round and install from source.

Jon
In reply to Jon Witts

Re: File Repository for Teachers: KnowledgeTree?

by Geoffrey Rowland -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Jon et al.

It's been a while since this posting, but I have just rediscovered KnowledgeTree Community Edition as a potential repository for Moodle 2 and have been rather impressed.

Over recent years, I have tinkered with a few different potential repository systems including DOOR, EPrints, SharePoint, Alfresco, Mindtouch and ownCloud but, for various reasons, none have completely fitted the bill.

The latest community KnowledgeTree looks promising as the source code version installs fairly painlessly on the same LAMP stack as Moodle (though I had to perform a couple of tweaks to cope with PHP 5.3.x).

ActiveDirectory authentication (shared with our Moodle) also worked well for both users and groups.

Setting up KnowledgeTree as a WebDAV repository also worked 'out of the box' for file import into Moodle 2. As our particular KnowledgeTree instance was on a different server to our production Moodle, I did have to tweak moodle/repository/webdav/lib.php to return the correct path for linked-resources. I'll be happy to expand on this if it helps anyone

One significant remaining challenge for KnowledgeTree, and other repositories, is linking roles and permissions to those in Moodle. For example, KnowledgeTree resources added, by a teacher, as links in a Moodle course are not visible to students unless the appropriate permissions are set in KnowledgeTree. A quick fix is to set things for public access, though this may not be appropriate for all situations. Alternatively, some way of synchronising Moodle courses (categories?, cohorts?, groups?) with KnowledgeTree groups would be good.

Of course there is less of an issue with imported resource files, as these inherit the Moodle course permissions. However, this does negate some of the advantages of using a repository. Resource files are duplicated and automatic linking to the latest file version.

In summary ,KnowledgeTree looks very promising as a WeDAV repository/Document Management System for Moodle 2 - with AD/LDAP authentication, groups, versioning and workflows. In many ways, a PHP-based 'Alfresco-lite'.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Geoffrey Rowland

Re: File Repository for Teachers: KnowledgeTree?

by Geoffrey Rowland -
Picture of Plugin developers

Oops

Resource files are duplicated and automatic linking to the latest file version.

Should read

Resource files are duplicated and automatic linking to the latest file version does not occur,

by Mark Johnson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Have you looked at MrCUTEJr?
With the right setup* you can have the kind of interface your talking about. The only disadvantage over WebDAV is that files dropped into the directory dont immediately appear on Moodle (there's currently a manual download/upload of a CSV file), but I'm working on a script using inotify to circumvent that. The solution's mostly working, but it needs stress testing, after which I'm keen to share it.

*If you want to use an inotify script, the "Right setup" means your repository folder living on the same linux server as Moodle, and shared over Samba to make it accessible from various client systems. Otherwise, you just need the repository folder on your network shared via SMB/CIFS and accessible to your client systems as well as the server.