Hiding courses and categories to unenrolled users

Re: Hiding courses and categories to unenrolled users

by Gisela Salgado -
Number of replies: 5

Hi Jaimie. I'm trying to follow all your instructions but I have problems finding the blocks you mentioned. I've already installed flex page, but cannot find the site where I can download the other 2 blocks (profile redirect and courses available). The only stuff I've found are manuals. Can you help me aout with this? Please?...

In reply to Gisela Salgado

by marina g -

Hi guys, I'm having the same issue, we are using Moodle 2.4.6, and we have students that enroll on a course, but then they are able to see all the other courses that they are NOT enrolled in. How do i hide those courses from them?

PS: am 100% new to moodle

Thanks

M

In reply to marina g

by marina g -

BTW: i think i have tried everything, spent 2 hours playing around with the settings, hiding courses, changing permissions, all to no avail.. please HELP

In reply to marina g

by Alfie Punnoose -

This tweek is for Moodle 2.6 and may work with 2.x

In my moodle units are displayed as 'Combo list'. So if you have a different setting you might have to adapt the code.

Script file to edit course/renderer.php

To hide units that users have no access to

This bit is easy and straightforward. You simply have to add a line of code

in function coursecat_courses(...)

in foreach ($courses as $course) {

if($course->can_access()) // add this line
                $content .= $this->coursecat_coursebox($chelper, $course, $classes); // just before this line

To hide categories with no accessable units

This part is a bit tricky. The function coursecat_category_content() returns HTML code that is placed under each category. What I look for here is if there is any units in that block. Each unit is wrapped in a div tag with a class 'coursebox'. So we search for this and if found concludes that this category has units and hence display it. The code is added in 3 parts of the function.

in function coursecat_category(...)
$hidecat = false; // add this in the beginning
// load category content
$categorycontent = $this->coursecat_category_content($chelper, $coursecat, $depth); // under this line
if(strpos($categorycontent,'coursebox')===false) // add this two lines
     $dol_hidecat = true; // and this line too
if($dol_hidecat)  // just before the return an the end of the function, add this two lines
    $content = '';
return $content;

In reply to Alfie Punnoose

by Luko Wak -

Hi Alfie,

I'd been looking for a way to hide courses from unenrolled users for a long time, and your solution seems to have worked. Thanks for that!

But there is still one problem. After I added the code, although users are now only able to see the courses they are enrolled into, a warning appears on the front page:

Notice: Undefined variable: dol_hidecat in /home/platne/cubeenglish/public_html/moodle/course/renderer.php on line 1640 Notice: Undefined variable: dol_hidecat in /home/platne/cubeenglish/public_html/moodle/course/renderer.php on line 1640

This seems like a simple enough problem to overcome, but as I'm just starting out with php it exceeds my capacities.

Would appreciate any help!

Luko

In reply to Luko Wak

by Alfie Punnoose -

Sorry Luko for getting back to you after a long while. 

The solution is to declare the variable

$dol_hidecat = false;

Just before the if statement.