Bench marking Moodle courses - Gold, Silver, Bronze

Bench marking Moodle courses - Gold, Silver, Bronze

by Mike Wilson -
Number of replies: 66

I work as an e-Learning Systems Developer at Southampton City College, UK. We migrated from Blackboard to Moodle in the summer of 2007.

Early on we hit the same challenges as other Colleges and Universities namely, how do you motivate staff and highlight the solid merits of Moodle inside and outside of the classroom?

We decided early on that you can't manage what you can't measure, so we set about trying to measure and bench mark our Moodle courses.

My manager John Savage hit on the idea of giving our courses Gold, Silver, Bronze or In Development medals based on moodle course content and student usage.

You can find a full description of what we consider to be a Gold, Silver and Bronze course in the accompanying screen shots (gsb_explained-linked-from-block.png). In a nut shell though. A bronze course is a repository style course with handouts, presentations and a scheme of work, a silver course also includes interactive material (NLN Learning objects, embedded video etc). A gold course has all of the above but is collaborative with students contributing to the content of the course (forums, glossaries, wikis etc). An "In Development" course falls short of a bronze course. Obviously you can't apply this rule to every course. A social course based around a forum can be an excellent tool for a teacher. Our system is intended to drive up usage of Citybit (our moodle) via clear guidelines and pinch of healthy competition amongst teaching and support staff.

I've written a couple of blocks which make the bench marking system visible from inside Moodle. My plan is to release the blocks to the Moodle community after half-term (late October). The blocks are too specific to our College at the moment. A bit of tweaking will sort that though.

The Moodle bench marking system which we've spent many hours discussing and developing is really helping drive our e-Learning agenda forward. Its lead to competition amongst teaching staff "I want a gold medal course, how do I get there?" is a common enquiry we get now-a-days. It also provides managers the abilty to be able to set SMART targets in Teachers appraisals - "Achieve a Silver course in Citybit before the end of the academic year". From a senior managers point of view the Principal and others can see a picture of success across the whole College and also by department. Most importantly though, thousands of students at College are benefiting from high quality support material and activities via Moodle.

Please take a look at some screenshots of the blocks and pages I've written. I hope to be releasing the blocks very soon. Hope you find this useful.

http://citybit.southampton-city.ac.uk/gsb/

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mike Wilson

Re: Bench marking Moodle courses - Gold, Silver, Bronze

by Lewis Parfitt -
This is fantastic. A Brilliant idea to motivate staff to produce good quality interactive courses. Well done you.

Will be very interested in this when you release it. superb!

Lewis.
In reply to Lewis Parfitt

by Andrea Hall -
Hi Mike,
I really like this idea, as Lewis mentioned it is such a positive way to promote effective use of Moodle.

May I suggest a modification? I am not all that sure about 'interactive materials' that you have for the bronze award. Often people think interactive materials means 'point and click', e.g. click on a button and up pops a sentence (true interactivity in materials is where the student actually manipulates the environment). Interactive materials can mean the teacher needs to have the tech skills to design it or someone in the tech depart has the time or money to do it.

I wonder if the three awards relate to using Moodle tools only, not multimedia. (but of course the focus is effective teaching strategies).

Therefore, could the sliver be something like using quiz and assignments so it is a step up from bronze, and then the gold is both the interactive (chat, forum) and content creation (wiki, blogs, portfolios when they are integrated into Moodle) ????

Andrea
In reply to Andrea Hall

by Mike Wilson -

Hi Andrea,

Yep I couldn't agree more with your suggestion for the Silver medal in the bench marking system. Our criteria of silver activities includes:

• Assignments (through the gradebook)
  • Feedback / Questionnaire
  • Interractive Material (interractive leaerning objects)
  • Quizzes
  • You-Tube style embedded videos

Please have a look at this image of one of the GSB screens that's quite handy:

http://citybit.southampton-city.ac.uk/gsb/course_info.png

The silver level equates to activities which offer a more engaging and interactive experience for students which are over and above static repository content found in bronze courses (typically, word, excel, powerpoint files). Obviously these can be made into interactive activities, but we have no automated way of detecting it.

Mike

In reply to Mike Wilson

જઃ Bench marking Moodle courses - Gold, Silver, Bronze

by Dr. Amitkumar Mali -
Hi Mike,
It's a great idea to motivate course creators and users for quality improvement. I think If we can define minimum common criteria for all moodle courses world wide, It may be more useful. I think your idea is to be considered for moodle 2.0 .
Congratulation

In reply to Mike Wilson

by Ryan Chadwick -
This sounds like a great idea.

I would consider another approach based on Blooms Taxonomy. I think this opens up more opportunities for teachers to be creative and also to integrate Moodle work with out of Moodle work too. It would be a bit harder as it would have to be done by hand but could be done by peer review.

Kind of like the following:

Bronze, demonstrates:
  • remembering
  • understanding
Silver, demonstrates:
  • applying
  • analysing
Gold, demonstrates:
  • evaluation
  • creation
In reply to Ryan Chadwick

by Andrea Hall -
This is going to make it more complex Ryan, but I think it also needs a pedagogical basis- the Blooms criteria could all be fulfilled by learners acting alone, but we know that effective learning needs a social environment.

So you would need to include the amount of (people to people) interactivity in the levels.

Also I am not sure if remembering & understanding is what Moodle is made for, as that is not what engaged learning is about, which is what Moodle is there to support. So I would not want to give any award for surface learning.

We can have two levels of interaction- one is sharing and learning from each other (eg in forums where students do not just post, but reply in a reflective manner). Then there is collaborative learning where students are building and creating together, eg a group creating a new perspective or analysis so they co-create and co- analyse. Well eg like trying to develop a bronze/silver/gold model! wink

Andrea
In reply to Andrea Hall

by Ryan Chadwick -
I agree it is going to be harder. But that's why I suggested utilising peer review as well which I think is good from the point of view of sharing ideas and experiences.

You're also right in that it doesn't cater for solitary and group learning. That should be factored in somewhere.

I disagree with the point about remembering and understanding however. I agree that Moodle is about a whole lot more than this but I feel it is still an important factor (even if a boring one). At some point we must provide material to the students (even if only because it must be taught as part of the syllabus). Now whether Moodle is the best way to achieve this as opposed to a traditional text book, providing handouts, scavenging the web or other means is open to debate and probably dependent on the situation.

A lot of teachers starting off with Moodle start off with what they are familiar with which is their existing notes. They become comfortable with using Moodle through this then progress to the fun stuff. So I think it is a valid part of the whole process.

Anyways, I figured there would be holes in it, and that there would be differing opinions so I'm actually glad you took the time to respond and encourage others to do so similarly.
In reply to Ryan Chadwick

by Andrea Hall -
Hi Ryan, (& Mike)
Yes our teachers usually start with using Moodle just for resources as well.

I was discussing this award idea with a colleague, and he suggested it should be focussed not on the tool but on the teaching approach. This is a good point, as a teacher can use forums for example, but in some courses students may only post, but not reply, whereas other courses may have truly amazing interaction because of the way the forum was designed and interaction was promoted. Same with wikis- some can be used to add content (little learning), and others the students use it to modify & edit each others work (great learning), so the learning outcome would be different in these different usages.

So this is what we came up with:

1. Does this course use Moodle for assessment or for feedback? - (eg assessing forum posts, journal contributions, assignments, quizzes. Feedback, in using those tools or teachers comments in wikis, workshops etc or sending feedback about blogs) This gives teachers flexibility in their design to assess in a way that suits the course or their students. This is important because when we focus on course designs that promote critical thinking, then formative assessment becomes more important. (group or individual work) We also notice that when teachers want to move past the stage of posting resources often the first thing they want to do is add assignments or quizzes.

2. Does this course use Moodle to discuss with others about course topics? - This provides flexibility for teachers to use forums or chats or even messaging to interact. But also as it says 'discuss' it means that the design must include responses from other students, and not just 'I agree'. With today's pedagogical perspectives, we think that interaction is so so important, therefore courses that promote dialogue should be encouraged.

3. Does your course use Moodle for group projects or case studies? I think this is the most 'advanced' type of course- especially where students can work collaboratively and not just divide out the tasks. This can be courses that have case studies as 15 minute discussions or more big-time cases based online that can include the use of wikis, lessons, forums, databases as the students work through a cases in a guided manner over several weeks. Again this provides flexibility in the tools that are used, depending on what the teacher likes or what is suitable for the particular course. This is great pedagogically as well esp if interaction is used in the case and if the topic is an authentic one found from the workplace.

Andrea (& Faisal Ali)
In reply to Mike Wilson

by Mike Wilson -

Hi folks,

Firstly I'd just like to say sorry that the Gold, Silver, Bronze (GSB) module and blocks haven't been released yet. We presented the a manual version of the GSB  at the JISC e-Learning fair back in October and I said the full version would be released by November 31st 2009.

We were awarded a Molenet Project in mid November which has monopolised our time (in a really positive way).

I'm committing to May 14th 2010 as a release date for GSB as colleagues locally want to get it up and running for the next academic year. This should give people time to play about with it over the summer.

Apologises again for the delay and I hope the wait will be worth it smile I'll keep this thread updated with my progress as we approach the release date.

Cheers, Mike

In reply to Mike Wilson

by Martine Fryer -

Hello Mike

I would be very interested in looking at this module when you do release it. In a recent internal inspection at our college I was tasked with looking at Moodle courses and something like this would have been helpful.

Regards

Martine Fryer
South Downs College

In reply to Martine Fryer

by Mike Green -

Hi Mike -

We're very interested in this prospective addon here at the Sixth Form College Solihull. I'll be bringing it to the attention of our management next week to see how it might fit into our moodle development plans. Very best of luck with your work on it!

Mike Green
Moodle admin
Sixth Form College Solihull

In reply to Mike Green

by Gavin Henrick -
Picture of Plugin developers
We have been working on implementing a report, with a seperate configuration for what to analyse.

Its built in Jasper Reports, producing print perfect reports, mainly so you can just "run off" a whole category, or even a site of reports and even schedule the reports to go monthly to the enrolled teacher.

So far, we have it reporting on

Course Structure
Course Roles active/inactive
Resources
Activities
Forum Activity
Individual User activity (although may break this out into a seperate type of course report)

Working on tweaking these and will get an anon report to display.

It is great to see so many people working on the same area.
In reply to Gavin Henrick

by Mike Wilson -

Hi folks,

Just wanted to give you an update on how I'm going with the GSB reporting release to Moodle as I promised a May 14th release.

Unfortunately I've hit a minor hurdle which I'm working around at the moment. The good news is the reporting will be released very soon though.

Here's a screenshot of one of a new screen which lets you preview / moderate medals by department before submitting them:

GSB Moderation Screen

In reply to Mike Wilson

by Karl Goddard -

These blocks and reports look like something we'd be very interested in using here... simple yet effective benchmarking of individual courses.

When do you think you'll have the blocks in beta release for?

In reply to Mike Wilson

Huston we have lift off...

by Mike Wilson -

Hi folks,

Sorry about the wait, hope it was worth it. Please see the attached file for the Gold, Silver, Bronze admin report and block. This is a Beta version as I am working with Anthony in the CONTRIB on the final version.

I have had this version working on our Live Moodle server for the last fortnight without any issues. If you'd rather wait for the final version please feel free, but I'd really appreciate any feedback to improve the report / block. Install instructions are included in the zip file.

I will check this thread daily and offer support if you run in to any problems. Hope you like it, I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out smile

Mike

In reply to Mike Wilson

Re: Huston we have lift off...

by Mike Wilson -

Please disregard last file and use the zip attached instead - fixes a bug whereby medals where not written to the table on process.

Cheers to Rob Smith @ Basingstoke for the spot.

Mike

In reply to Mike Wilson

Re: Huston we have lift off...

by Graham Cowan -

Hi Mike,

I've just been chatting with John Savage about your GSB benchmarking system. He said to contact yourself about it.

I see you have attached the zip file so I will give it a go and let you know how I get on.

Regards

Graham

In reply to Mike Wilson

by Janet Waters -
Hi
Mike Dawson our IT Manager has installed your block but we would like to the GSB to look at sub categories. Can you let us know how to do this
many thanks
In reply to Janet Waters

by Mike Wilson -

Hi Janet,

Yep no problem, just a couple of easy changes. You need to change the following two lines in the gsb index.php file.

The file is located here:

/moodle/admin/report/gsb/index.php

Change line 73:

$get_dept_codes = mysql_query("SELECT id, name FROM mdl_course_categories where depth = 1 order by name asc");

to

$get_dept_codes = mysql_query("SELECT id, name FROM mdl_course_categories order by name asc");

Change line 106:

WHERE (((mdl_course_categories.depth)=1));

to

;

In reply to Mike Wilson

by Janet Waters -

Many thanks we will give it a go and let you know

cheers

Janet

In reply to Mike Wilson

by J Dewitz -
Hi Mike,

we are in the process of adapting your admin report & block scripts to count course content according to our own quality criteria. We've got all scripts working fine in 1.96+, so that's all good. It's a very positive start but we are obviously looking at the long term and the big eventual upgrade to Moodle 2.0.

Out of curiosity we ran the gsb code on a test site for Moodle 2.0 today to see how it would behave and while the gsb_by_department.php runs fine, the block_gsb.php runs into trouble because according to Moodle2.0 get_field_sql() not available anymore. Any ideas how to resolve this?

Thanks in advance.
Janina
In reply to Mike Wilson

by Stephen Catton -

Hi Mike

i hope all is well in the land of City College

I have installed your GSB tool and everything seems to work except where, in the report a medal is awarded to a classroom the Block only shows the In development graphic.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Stephen

In reply to Stephen Catton

by Mike Wilson -

Hey Stephen,

Hows life treating you buddy? Are you still at Sparshott?

I've had a few emails recently from people with questions about the GSB, so I've pencilled in a couple of hours tomorrow to get into. Apologises for not replying sooner September's been a bit nuts so emails from Moodle.org have been cunningly funnelled into "bucket" in my email account ;)

Mike

In reply to Mike Wilson

by Mohammed Abdulaziz -

Hi Mike,

This looks like a very useful tool, well-done for such an excellent work.

Aziz

In reply to Mohammed Abdulaziz

by Mike Wilson -

Thanks Aziz much appreciated smile Watch this space for the Moodle 2.0 version

In reply to Mike Wilson

by Tina Schaefer -

Hi there,

I wondered if there are any news on this plug-in, i.e. have institutions successfully used it and is there a new version being worked on?

We are thinking of implementing this plug-in at our institution.

Thanks

Tina

In reply to Tina Schaefer

by Mike Wilson -

Hi Tina, apologies for the late reply.

If you look further up this thread to my posting on June 16th 2010 you'll find a zip file which contains the admin report and course block for the GSB.

This block and report is being used by a number of local College's in and around Southampton. This includes ourselves (Southampton City College) plus Basingstoke, Fareham and Totton Colleges. No-one has reported any major problems. We've had quite a few reports of how useful e-learning staff have found it to drive up usage of moodle by teaching staff.

I would like to release this report and module as a fully fledged moodle plugin. I'm currently testing an upgrade of our moodle site to 2.02 so we can make a decision as whether to upgrade this summer or not. If we go to 2.0 I'll be writing a version of the GSB for moodle 2.0 sooner rather than later.

Hope this helps

In reply to Mike Wilson

by Dan Cox -

Hi Mike,

I have been reading about your benchmarking scheme on the Excellence Gateway and would like to add it to our Moodle installation. Unfortunately our administrator says we run on Microsoft SQL Server and your tool needs MySQL to work. Are there any plans for a version that would work with this, or as a Moodle plugin?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

In reply to Dan Cox

by Mike Wilson -

Hi Dan, yep I've got plans to re-write the GSB for 1.9 using the full moodle syntax this summer. This will mean it will work for all different SQL types. I've only got access to Mysql servers at our College, so it would be really handy to test the new version with a couple of different set-ups.

Would you be interested in helping me test it with your set-up once its complete?

In reply to Mike Wilson

by Mike Wilson -

Whilst I'm thinking about new versions. I've had a few enquiries about a version of Gold, Silver, Bronze for Moodle 2.0. We're not moving to Moodle 2.0 until summer 2012, but if there's enough interest in a version of the GSB for Moodle 2.0 now I'll spend some time on it this summer.

If you are interested in a version of the GSB for Moodle 2.0, could you please leave a quick reply below.

Cheers,

Mike

In reply to Mike Wilson

by J Dewitz -

I asked about that a year ago, but you ignored my question. mixed

In reply to Mike Wilson

by Kristian Still -

Mike, we would like to add our support to that request.

The gsb block was discussion at Moodle Moot 2011 (kudos to you) and I know that there are a number of FE colleges keen to see the block in Moodle 2.+

Like you we are planning for 2012, but we would want to investigate / prepre how the block could be used to encourage M2 uptake. This rebrand is an important opportunity to get staff to revisit Moodle.

In reply to Mike Wilson

by Tamara Cowling -

Mike,

I am really keen to benchmark my courses in 2.0. (I am currently using a manual checklist)

Also, happy to participate in the testing.

Tamm

In reply to Mike Wilson

by Neil Prior -

Mike, I LOVE this module; it's been very usful in getting staff engaged with developing their courses and now we're moving to 2.0 I love to get my hands on a new version to continue the good work. 

Many many thanks in advance.

Neil

In reply to Mike Wilson

by Mohammed Abdulaziz -

Moodle was more or less used as a storage area where data as old as 2006 were available and some staff wouldn’t even bother updating their old resources. Last academic year we have installed gsb, which made a huge difference to the performance of staff updating their courses on moodle. it somehow motivated some staff to do more and some took it as a challenge to do better comparing to others.

This has worked really well... and all the THANKS goes to you MIKE!

We will surely await the new version of GSB for moodle 2.0 or 2.x as we have recently migrated from moodle 1.9.10 to Moodle 2.1

Hope the new version to be released ASAP...

Aziz

In reply to Mike Wilson

by Helen Bound -

Mike, we added this quite late to our 1.9 site prior to moving over to 2.0 for staff, in order for them to see just what was needed to be done to get their courses ready for migration. It was the shot in the arm that we needed as the 'rivalry' began between individuals and departments, we were able to support 'willing' Moodle participators to move to the next 'medal' Just big kids actually but it was great motivator, so as Theo Paphitis would say 'we're in!'

In reply to Mike Wilson

by Giles Lancaster -

More than interested have been looking for a way of managing this sort of thing.

There needs to be recognition for excellence and definite criteria to aim at.  I have copied the criteria comments and will mull over.

Thanks

In reply to Mike Wilson

by Emma Dollery -

Hi Mike! GSB for Moodle 2 would be great! we are just in the process of developing Moodle 2 for roll out in the summer. GSB has been a godsend since we have had it installed on our current 1.9 Moodle!

In reply to Mike Wilson

by Belinda Caulfield -
Yes please, we use this block in our 1.9 Moodle but are moving over to Moodle 2.2 in the summer so we would love this to be available while we are testing the site prior to upgrade. Thank you Belinda Caulfield
In reply to Belinda Caulfield

by Mike Wilson -

Hi folks,

Just wanted to keep you up-to-date on the progress of Gold, Silver, Bronze and the Moodle 2 version.

Progress on GSB has stalled from my end due to my recent change of job. You'll be happy to hear though that the University of Portsmouth (my new employer) like the concept of the Gold, Silver, Bronze reporting mechanism (although not the medal system - which I've got to agree I'm not amazingly fond of either - that said it has proved to be a very effective motivational / communication tool).

Our plans for a revised reporting system will still involve "weighing" Moodle courses to determine the degree to which they are repository, interactive or collaborative in nature. We will be explanding on this concept to include student participation figures in each category.

The admin reports and associated blocks will be fully fledged Moodle plugins. As I've now got a bit more time to spend to develop things properly.

I believe there are still plans to continue to develop the original GSB at Southampton City College so there will effectively be two branches to the system.

Please continue to leave any feature requests or feedback here. Although I don't always reply very speedily (sorry) I do read and take on board what people have fed back.

Cheers

In reply to Mike Wilson

by R H -
I have taken over from Mike at Southampton City College. I have made a beta version of the GSB system which you will find attached. It currently still relies on MySQL but when I have more time it will be DB type independent. I also plan to incorporate student feedback, average student hits per course (which hasn't been incorporated in this version or in mikes previous version) and also the ability for end users to choose their own criteria e.g. x amount of assignments and x hits per student.

This new version remembers if you have over ridden a medal as previously if you forget to reapply your over rides then you would lose them.

I have tested this on moodle 2.2.3 and have got St Vincents College to test too. Any feedback welcomed. I think there is a place for both.

In reply to R H

by Sue Moss -

I can confirm that we have tried this out on our test server at St Vincent and, after a few tweaks from Richard, all appears to be working great ... now to move it to the live domain

A suggestion for future development is to include books (with a weighting of 5) into the resources to count towards the 25 that you need to reach to hit bronze.  It would also be good if folders and pages could count too. In the mean time (with a bit of guidance from Richard) I've just tweaked our version so that you do not need as many as 25 resources to be able to gain a bronze.

Thank you so much for your assistance over the past few days Richard, I'm not a techie person and could not have done this without your help which has been greatly appreciated.

In reply to Sue Moss

by R H -
Great suggestions Sue. I will look at incorporating these.
In reply to R H

by Mohammed Abdulaziz -

Wow!!  What a great tool, works perfectly on our server...   Well Done!!!wink

Our courses are allocated within sub/sub categories, is there a way to void empty categories, also is there a way to run a report on all of them at top category level where it includes all sub categories...

In reply to Mohammed Abdulaziz

by R H -
Thanks for the feature requests.

I will add these when I have time.

Here is a new beta version which mostly follows moodle syntax now. You will have to remove any previous version in order to use this version as there is additional features and I haven't yet written an upgrade file for changing the db from the previous beta version.

You should be able to set your own benchmarking criteria now and it should work with all supported moodle DB types but it needs testing so this is when you guys come in smile . The link for how to improve benchmarking criteria in the block is now changeable to your own help docs URL as well.

There is an experimental feature of automatic medals in the report settings where by when a teacher or admin enters a course it automatically recalculates the medal unless its been overridden although I am not sure whether to change this to be run on the cron job yet.

Next I will look at the feedback Block I mentioned previous, adding a button to calculate all courses within a category and its subcategories and about making empty course categories redundant.
In reply to R H

by Gavin Henrick -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Richard,

Just a quick heads up, you have mdl_ hardcoded in the report and block in just two locations.

G

In reply to Gavin Henrick

by R H -
Thanks Gavin :/

I wil change this today.
In reply to R H

by Sue Moss -

Hi

This doesnt seem to be showing the "in development" award any more - is it still meant to?

Sue

In reply to Sue Moss

by R H -
Hi Sue

Sorry for the late reply. Upgrades etc. I am in the process of releasing a full plugin for this in the plugins db so I will post a link if it gets approved.

Richard
In reply to R H

by R H -
A full release is now available in the plugins download page. Just search for GSB.

Thanks
In reply to R H

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Richard - Unfortunately that autolink may confuse folks so the best place for folks to get the GSB medals block and report is at Gold, Silver, and Bronze (GSB) Medel set. Peace - Anthony 

In reply to Anthony Borrow

by R H -
Oops. I didn't actually notice the auto link ;)
In reply to Mike Wilson

by Dan Cox -

Hi Mike,

That's great news, and yes I'd definitely be interested in testing it with our set-up.

Thanks for your reply,

Dan

In reply to Mike Wilson

by Graeme Boxwell -

Hi Mike,

We are really impressed with the benchmarking tool that you have created and would be delighted to test it with our SQL test server setup if you are still looking for people to assist you.

Regards,

Graeme

In reply to Mike Wilson

by Adam Salem -

Hi Mike,

How did moving over to the full Moodle Syntax go?

We use SQL Server here and would love to use this module if possible smile

In reply to Mike Wilson

by Elizabeth Dalton -

I have the GSB block and report installed on a test server. I'm not able to get it to process any courses. I also can't figure out how to change the criteria for the different levels. Is there supposed to be an admin screen somewhere? I had an opportunity to change settings when I first installed the plugins, but I can't seem to get back to that screen.

In reply to Elizabeth Dalton

by R H -
Hi Elizabeth,

The settings are in Site Administration > Plugins > Report > GSB Medal.

In here you can find all the settings you will need to get yourself started. I imagine because you are on a test server there is no student hit rates which is why its not showing any medals as this is now a criteria for a course before a medal can be awarded. This by default is set to an average of 20 hit rates by students. The minimum number of enrolments to the course is also set by default to two.

Richard
In reply to R H

by Elizabeth Dalton -

Thanks. smile I eventually found the documentation page here: http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/GSB_set That enabled me to solve my problems.

There are additional features we'd like to see, e.g. ability to look for an attached document with "syllabus" in the title, ability to check for at least one forum per topic/week, etc. I'm going to look through the code. Are there any enhancements like this planned, before I start digging?

by R H -
Hi Elizabeth,

I put that together after your message so thanks for the prompt

I do plan on adding a setting to search for a given phrase in a file name / book name as this would be quite useful I think for example "course handbook" or "syllabus" but the forum per topic is something we haven't really had the requirement for at the moment but it should be possible.

I think also adding topic headings is something which I will look at in the future. e.g. make sure each topic heading has a given name outside of the default.

I am currently busy working on other internal projects at the moment unfortunately but there will be some planned changes.

Richard

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to R H

by Martine Fryer -

Just wanted to reply to this as I have recently had installed the GSB block to our Moodle site. We plan to launch to staff Spring next year. I would certainly find 'course handbook' a very useful addition.

We have a minimum requirement for our VLE:

- A link to the syllabus/specification 
- Assessment/exams deadlines
- Year planner/course overview/topic list 
- Assignments - vocational (can be uploaded Word docs)
- Your e-mail contact details and workroom number

Is there a possibility for above items to be added? or should we be looking at adapting ourselves.

Regards.

In reply to Martine Fryer

by R H -
Hi martine,

Some of those requirements you have mentioned I am not 100% sure how some of them will be monitored

By Assignments do you mean assignment documents for the student to download or assignment activities?

The course handbook - does this not contain the syllabus, course overview, topic list etc? I can imagine it would be quite difficult to manage the automatic detection of all of these unless they had the same name convention across your institution.

Your email and workroom number would probably be best dealt with using existing blocks like 'message my teacher' or 'people' or the 'course contacts block'. These all have their different uses. If you were to use the course contacts block it allows you to customize whether phone numbers, emails and moodle messaging can be shown (moodle user profiles). The only thing missing is workroom number which can be added into the users profile and can be accessed by the quick link to their moodle profile page.

In a previous place I have worked, custom links were made to a central storage area of coded Course / Unit Guides (Word documents), a page which displays all teachers on that course (populated by information in their moodle profiles) web pop up and reading lists (populated by information based upon course / unit code). This was all done as part of the course format rather than checking that lecturers have done this.

I may have misinterpreted what your looking for though.

Richard
In reply to R H

by Elizabeth Dalton -

We're probably going to use MooProfile to display instructor information in courses. The information will still have to be included in instructor Moodle profiles, but at least it will only have to be entered once and updates will take effect for all courses.

by R H -
Good idea... hadn't seen this block. smile
In reply to Mike Wilson

by Bill Steele -

I am attempting to convince the University of the West of Scotland to include GSB on all modules. If you are actively using GSB could you please contact me with your experiences e.g. has it helped encourage an improvement in content, are staff motivated to obtain higher medals, do students encourage staff to obtain higher medals, do staff engage in discussing what the criteria for the medals should be etc

Our experience from a pilot is that Heads of School and above are interested in the number of medals allocated, some staff are encouraged to obtain higher medals, in our case it was decided that Gold should be allocated manually to take account of the various activities, resources etc that could not be detected presently, we have added a Platinum level which can only be obtained after a student cohort has given approval and a positive peer review has been undertaken

Any feedback would be welcome

Bill

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mike Wilson

by dawn alderson -

Fabulous! Really useful to know.

thanks

Dawn