I have been planning to do this for a while; but in the deluge of things, it keeps slipping. So I am posting it to both invite people, and to force myself to get it done (or face the public shame...).
My plan is to create a branch (using git) tracking MOODLE_19_STABLE, and to add merge into that branch various things:
- José Cedeno's timeline courseformat, set to be the default. This exists today.
- TinyMCE with a simplified set of buttons (bold, italics, colour, fontsize)
- PaintWeb -- got to get in motion with Mihai to get a workable hack on 1.9.x for the img storage...
- Enable AJAX in the course page.
- Easier course creation -- imagine: "create course"-> all settings to default, creator is enrolled as teacher, and... -> straight into "enrol students".
- Enrol-into-course screen has a bug "DONE" button that takes you to course.
- Whatever curly hack is needed to only allow the "natural" role/context-types enrolments in the usual UI. When enrolling to a course, show only teacher and student.
- A simplified set of default blocks.
- Other simplifications we can come up with, targetted at lowering barriers to entry for teachers and students using Moodle a little bit every day.
The result will be an experimental, unsupported Moodle. I do plan to use it for OLPC's XS but that's because I am a bit insane.
And before anyone panics, it is not meant to be for inclusion in 1.9.x. It is a way to get something good for OLPC today, and to see what sinks, what swims, and what we can polish for a 2.x