Lock the student's quiz when their browser is minimized or another window is opened

Lock the student's quiz when their browser is minimized or another window is opened

by K P -
Number of replies: 9

The district I teach in has just implimented a new online testing software package, which although not nearly as powerful as Moodle, does have an a few advantages.  I was asked to test some of the anti-cheating features and the auto-save feature yesterday before they put start the district benchmark testing.  Here are a few of the things that I think would be a great addition to Moodle, as selectible options:

1) When the browser is minimized, the test (quiz) is locked and the teacher must allow the student back in.

2) The test auto saves answers as the students go along instead of having to press "Save without submitting" at the bottom.

3) If a student tries to open another program, and the browser looses window focus, the test is locked and must be unlocked by the teacher.

4)The teacher has the option to suspend a student during the test if they see the student doing something that warrants it.

I can see almost every computer screen in my room from just about anywhere, but when my back is turned....   I think these would be great features to add.  My district's software is also browser based, so I am sure it is possible to add this to Moodle as well.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to K P

Re: Lock the student's quiz when their browser is minimized or another window is opened

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
1) & 3) strike me as a complete pain for both students and teachers.

All these features seem to me to show total disrespect towards students.

If you really want this sort of thing, look at Moodle's 'secure' mode, and Safe Exam Browsre (google it).
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Lock the student's quiz when their browser is minimized or another window is opened

by K P -

How does it show complete disrepect to the student?  Not to show any disrepect to you, but you must have angles for students, because mine cheat every chance they get.  The secure feature only keeps them from cutting and pasting.  When testing via computer, there are a whole new set of possible ways to cheat including googling something or using the spell check on MS Word.  I think lack of trust and lack of respect are two completely different things.  I have worked in schools where software is installed on the teacher's computer so that they can even see all the monitor screens on their computer and suspend/lock out/warn a student when needed. 

Yes, it is a hassle when you have to unlock their test and that would be their warning...same as "keep your eyes on your own papers", if they did it a second time, then well, that would be up to the teacher, but I would invalidate their test.  You don't accidentally click start, programs, MS Word twice.

I respect my students, but I don't trust all of them.  This I have learned the hard way.

In reply to K P

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Well, I think it is disrespectful to work on the assumption that your students are there to cheat, rather than to learn. However, perhaps I am not cynical enough, and you konw your students better than me. Also, I work for an institution where students have chosen and paid to study.

Certainly cheats need to be caught and dealt with.

However, I would disagree with at least part of your definition of cheating. In the 21st Centuary, use of Goodle and spell checkers is not cheating. Their use is an important information literacy skill.

Except in specific situations like spelling tests.

There are two main differences between monitoring software such as you mention, and trying to lock down the user's computer:

1. Locking down the computer make things more difficult for students who are honest.

2. It is technically almost impossible for the Moodle server to lock down the student's computer.

It is rather like the differences between windows and linux. For a legitimate customer installing Windows is a pain with all the hastle about license keys.

If you really want to lock down the student's computer. Use a client-side solution like safe exam browser, as I said before.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Clark Burns -
"In the 21st Centuary, use of Goodle and spell checkers is not cheating. Their use is an important information literacy skill."

No offense Tim, but the irony in this made me laugh. smile

Happy Wednesday!

-Clark
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Clark Burns

by Tim Hunt -
Doh!

Actually, a timely reminder that I never got around to downloading the dictionary for the Firefox spell-checker. Done now.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by John Wyatt -

American English: Duh

LOL

In reply to K P

by Barry Oosthuizen -
Couldn't you simply blacklist all your disallowed programs and whitelist all your allowed sites? Then you don't have to worry about minimizing a window, clicking on Start > Programs, etc.
In reply to K P

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Oh no, not another discussion about stopping students from cheating.angry
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by K P -
I didn't intend it to be....was just offering suggestions for possible feature.  I know I can't be the only teacher out there that sees the value in them.