Saving feedback in online text assignments

Saving feedback in online text assignments

by Pete Jones -
Number of replies: 6

Hi

We use the online text assignment with 'comment inline' marking. When a teacher has commented on the learner's assignment in the HTML editor and pressed 'Save changes' the feedback is instantly available for the learner to see.

Does anyone know if there's a way for a teacher to be able to save their comments without the learner being able to see them?

It would be useful if a teacher could to this for the times when they want to save their comments and come back to them again later to check before making them available to the learner.

Pete

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pete Jones

Re: Saving feedback in online text assignments

by Marius Pretorius -
Hello Pete

I was just browsing around when I saw this unanswered message of yours. Would it not work if the teacher hid the activity (on the course page) until s/he was finished with all the comments? S/he can then unhide it when they are finished.

Regards
Marius
In reply to Pete Jones

by Marius Pretorius -
Pete,

Apparently your concern has been adressed in the latest release 1.9.6. I say 'apparently' because I have not installed it yet. See [#MDL-15843]

Regards
Marius
In reply to Marius Pretorius

by Pete Jones -

Thanks, Marius.

Your idea and the link to MDL-15843 have given me a possible way forward with this issue - and that's great because it keeps coming up.

Just today, I worked out a complicated way around it by setting up a dummy student with a dummy assignment submission so that teachers could copy and paste their feedback for real students into the dummy student's work and save it there.

But now I'll look into the gradebook settings and/or the hidden assignment option.

I'm thinking though that it would be great if there was another button next to the 'Save changes' button that allowed a teacher to save the feedback without the learner being able to see it.

Pete

In reply to Pete Jones

by Edward Beckmann -
Hi Pete, Marius

i have a similar problem and may not even be using the best module. Running 1.9.7 by the way.

I want to have students complete an assignment that is basically a 10-page form with mostly text boxes. They need to be able to bat it back and forth with their tutor until it is agreed as final, at which point it then cannot be changed. Now, this is simple with document versions on open office or word, but is there an equivalent that you know of in Moodle?

I did a few comments as a dummy student, commented on them as tutor, then amended them as the student. Tutor returning to review could only see the previous version with their comments, not the revised one. So there is either still a bug or a problem with my understanding.

Many thanks

Ed
In reply to Edward Beckmann

by Pete Jones -

Hi Ed

Have you looked at the Workshop module? I haven't used it, but I think it's set up for the kind of reviewing process that you want.

It's being updated for Version 2.0, so it may be a matter of wait and see.

Pete

In reply to Pete Jones

by Edward Beckmann -
Pete
Thanks - I'll have a look next week because although I have heard of it, have no experience and was grappling with another problem at the time it came up.

Ed