Quiz: sumgrades & grade fields?

Quiz: sumgrades & grade fields?

by Jeff Rahman -
Number of replies: 2
Hello,

I am trying to learn all about the quiz activity module code. Does anyone know what the "sumgrades" and "grade" fields are for on the "Quiz" table?

On a related matter, what is "sumgrade" on a quiz_attempt table? The whole concept of a "sum" throws me off. Shouldn't each attempt just save the grade? But it looks as it the Quiz adds them in for each attempt.

Confused...

Thank you for your help.

Jeff

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeff Rahman

Re: Quiz: sumgrades & grade fields?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Well, first of all, have you found Development:Question_database_structure and Development:Quiz_database_structure?

But to answer your immediate question, a quiz is a number of different questions, and the grade for the quiz is the sum of the grades for each question (possibly multiplied by a weighting factor and then) added together, and then the final quiz grade may be re-scaled to be out of a different total.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Quiz: sumgrades & grade fields?

by Jeff Rahman -
Thanks Tim! This is what I needed.

Yes, I had those docs (in fact they are printed out and taped to my wall). I thought the quiz would collect the grades, but it doesn't. Each question handles scoring since they can be submitted independently of the entire quiz. I couldn't quite trace the code or figure out from the docs what was going on, so I "raised my hand" and asked. smile

Jeff