Copyright

Copyright

by Adele Cushing -
Number of replies: 6

I have a request for a future version of Moodle. At Barnet College, London, we are currently implementing Moodle so currently have a pretty 'clean' version. I am wanting to get the copyright issues sorted from the beginning so am going to publish a document letting staff know what they can use in terms of images on our Moodle. I wondered also if a prompt could exist underneath the Browse button when you upload a file. To remind people that they should ensure they have copyright permission to upload something in a similar way that facebook says ‘have you got permission to publish this image?' – but not a question that people would have to tick every time - just a text based reminder.

Not sure if this is the right place to put such a request but I'm sure someone will let me know.

thanks

adele

Adele Cushing

E-Learning Manager

Barnet College adele.cushing@barnet.ac.uk

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Adele Cushing

Re: Copyright

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Well, one hopes that your staff are not abusing copyright images in their existing paper hand outs wink

You are right that it is good to educate your staff about this. I am not aware of an existing customisation that does what you want, however adding that text in a few places would be a relatively easy customisation.

However, doing it might still be irritating to your users. Another approach would be to include a section on copyright in whatever training you give your staff.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I've heard this request from a few people - Mahara does this already, but I haven't seen a customisation that does this in Moodle...yet! - If you were willing to help pay for the feature to be developed/added - you could contract a Moodle Partner to do the work for you!

(full disclosure - I work for the NZ Moodle Partner Catalyst IT) smile
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Can you attach a screenshot of what users see in Mahara (since I am too lazy to go an see for myself wink).
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Paul Lucas -

Adele,

For a "quick fix" you could alter the moodle language file (lang/en-utf8/moodle.php) for the "uploadthisfile" string.  From within Moodle select Language > Language editing and select "moodle.php" as the file to edit. Find the "uploadthisfile" string. The text currently reads 'Upload this file' - change this text to include whatever copyright advice /warnings you wish to offer, and that is what will appear on the upload button itself. 

Not the separate text reminder you asked for, but it may be of some help..? 

I'm not a Moodle Partner.

In reply to Paul Lucas

by Jeff Forssell -
It is also possible (at least where I've tried it) to put in HTML formatting tags in the language strings.