PC or Mac?

PC or Mac?

by Tara Harper -
Number of replies: 20

I am just getting started in the world of Online Course Design and I was not sure if I should invest in a MacBook Pro or continue to use my HP.

Also, I was looking through the book listings.  Which would be a good one to begin with?

Any assistance is appreciated.  I have downloaded the 1.9 software and have a test server (MS Server Std 2003) to play with.  I have not installed the software yet.  I am going to perform that this week.

I am also working on my Grad degree on Information Technology in Education and am taking a course on Human-Computer Interaction.  No one has recommended a preference on equipment to use for the actual design part of the courses.  I am looking for any and all suggestions.

Thanks!

Tara-Byte

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tara Harper

Re: PC or Mac?

by John Andrewartha -
Tara,
It's a case of horses for courses. Maybe sticking with the Hp box and what ever you are running on it rather than changing horses at this stage.
Moodle has it's own inbuilt editor, the one you used to write the post with.
There are a few good free packages that you can use to produce a learning resource.
Try eXe. Using a MIP( Microsoft Intel Processor) will give you access to a broader range of products.
When you ask about HCI (Human Computer Interaction) are you asking about HID (human interface devices)? and as for the normal user or a user with challenges? Or how we interact human with machine?
John
Average of ratings: Very cool (1)
In reply to John Andrewartha

by Tara Harper -

The Course is predominately how to approach a user and learn how to adjust courses for the learning differences.  There is a separate course for Assistive Technology (I have already received the book on it and read it as well).

I guess where I have worked in tech support for 10 years now it is a matter of just understanding how a user looks/views a computer and figuring a way to traing that person.  For instance, we have some users that will call the entire computer the hard drive or the desktop screen is referred to as the main screen, etc..

In reply to Tara Harper

by John Andrewartha -
Hi Tara,
The vexing issue of what the punter wants! With our noses close to the grind stone we often miss the small changes. Have you noticed that todays software has become reliable, has good look and feel and is becoming more intuitive?
Maybe the suggestion I would make is kick the shoes off get comfortable and have a critical look at the web. Whats hot and what's not. Things like is the eye guided, does it appeal to a particular age why? Is it easy to navigate? Most of the better techniques you can use in building learning objects. Just add content.
John

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

Can you post more information on following things?

> There are a few good free packages that you can use to produce a learning resource.
> Try eXe. Using a MIP( Microsoft Intel Processor) will give you access to a broader range of products
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by John Andrewartha -
Hi Visvanath,
I use the following products Open Office, Inkscape, Gimp and eXe.
Open Office meets my office needs and is very useful for quick web pages.
The Gimp is a Open Source Image manipulation program.
Inkscape for the graphic tablet.
eXe is a useful nearly full featured package builder and designer (Win only) but runs under WINE on most Unix boxes.
We also use Firefox with Firebug and Dispute Finder installed.
With all of the above and the editor in Moodle you can knock out some reasonable looking work. The best part it's all free.
Hope that helps
John

Hello John

Thanks for the details. Yes, I know the line OpenOffice & Co, specially the Firebug addon to Firefox. They are great OpenSource tools, good to know that you use them extensively.

Add Audacity to the list, if you want to do audio.

This eXe thing, it is to make an install package for windows, isn't it? For what programming environment: VB, Java, .NET?

by John Andrewartha -
Hi Visvanath,
Yes I forgot Audacity. eXe is a windows program all it needs is a browser to run in.
Simply install the package and start it. It calls the default browser and thats it.
eXe can make web pages, create SCORM packages do missing word quizzes, import direct from Wikipedia and it appears any wiki that uses mediawiki. This sound like one of those adverts "but wait theirs more."
John

PS Nanagong in Moodle good for language teaching.

by Tabitha Parker (was Roder) -
To add to the posts about "free packages" I thought I would share a link.

http://sourceforge.net/

You can use SourceForge to find free open source software.

Teach chemistry? Try jmol.

You could even check out ohloh, the open source network to find people who write open source software, like Martin Dougiamas. You can give the developers you appreciate some "kudos" for their efforts on this site.
In reply to Tara Harper

by Lynn Scarlet Clark -
Hello Tara,

I personally use a MacBook (black), but really and truly you may be better off sticking to your HP. Although I had previously used Macs as well (my background is graphic design) and have one at home, I am also very used to PCs so hopefully I can help you a little.

For me, I think it boils down to three things: cost, support and software/use. Re cost: the Macs are a lot more, but break down less often/need replacing less often. Re support: do you know how to use Macs? Is there someone to support you in the IT dept? Do they know how to manage them and can you set up email etc to talk to others that you need to that use PCs (not too difficult, but a consideration) and compatibility with servers (prob not an issue). Finally, re software/use: I prefer Macs simply because I use a lot of adobe products and they are just simply easier and quicker on a Mac (plus Macs don't crash much) - if your main software is fine on a PC save your money! Part of this too, is that you do have to learn a few new things - stuff is different on a Mac, if you pick up things quickly then that's fine, if you're really happy with your use of a PC stick to it!

Hope this helps you!! Good luck
In reply to Tara Harper

by ben reynolds -
Don't make a decision like this one at the start of a grad degree. Save your money for when you really need it.

Try maxing out the memory and adding an external hard drive if you need more storage. My son just added a Tb external hd for his laptop for under US$200.

Remember Moore's Law. In two years, you can buy much more machine for half the price. As long as it isn't a Mac tongueout
In reply to Tara Harper

by Chad Outten -
Is the computer for personal or production server use? if its for personal use to develop online course content. a mac is loads of fun to use for creative stuff. as mentioned by others, they are a bit more expen$ive. as an offset, you do get some pretty neat iLife software bundled with your shiny toy!
In reply to Tara Harper

Hi

> I am just getting started in the world of Online Course Design and I was not sure if I should invest in a MacBook Pro or continue to use my HP.

If your primary interest is Course Design, you should be able to do it on your own computer: desktop, laptop, Mac, Windows, Linux or whatever. In tech terms, the client is yours. Take the one on which you can work most efficiently.

I assume, you want to deliver your course through Moodle. Moodle is the server, it is usually a different machine which answers to the webbrowser running on your client. The server could be anywhere running any supported operating system and related services like the webserver.

Again, if you are interested in course design, the easiest is to get an account on a Moodle server somewhere. You can ofcourse run Moodle on your own server or even on your client! Only in the latter case the question of platform A OR B arises. Otherwise the client can be on one plattform the server on something different.

BTW, Mac is also a PC http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Computer for me, irrespective of the make Compaq, Dell, HP, IBM or Apple. Perhaps you meant the Intel-architecture http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_architecture vs. PowerPC-architecture http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC But Apple gave it up years ago http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple-Intel_architecture

> I have downloaded the 1.9 software and have a test server (MS Server Std 2003) to play with. I have not installed the software yet. I am going to perform that this week.

Technical discussions are on "Using Moodle" http://moodle.org/course/view.php?id=5 (check the forums "Installation problems" and "Windows servers").
In reply to Tara Harper

by Harry Sweet -
Ever hear of Linux?

It runs the Internet, Google, Amazon and a few other small enterprises.

I run on it.
My classes run on it.
My family runs on it.
My real Moodle site (amoodle.org) runs on it.
My local Moodle site for testing runs on it.
Viruses and spyware do not run on it.

Save the $, download Ubuntu, burn a Live CD and see what I mean.
Then, if you don't like it , spend some money.

If you like it you can install on your HP. If you still like or need Windows, you can dual boot or install just like a Windows program (WUBI)

If you do not like it , locate check book.
In reply to Harry Sweet

by Paul M -
you can also run Windows on Linux or Mac OSX using VirtualBox from Sun - free.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

And a good (free) alternative to Microsoft office:

http://www.openoffice.org

and a WAY better browser (free) than Internet Explorer:

http://www.firefox.com

personally I prefer OSX for desktop over Linux but prefer Linux over OSX for server - and I've got a bunch of XServers sitting around unused as a result....
In reply to Harry Sweet

[OT] FOSS vs. propriatory

> Ever hear of Linux?
> [...]
> Save the $, download Ubuntu, burn a Live CD and see what I mean.

Today (Sa 19. Sep) is the Software Freedom Day http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/

May be there is a stall next to you. Check http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/teams

Re: [OT] FOSS vs. propriatory

http://www.softwarefreedomday.org.nz

found our team page

310 registrations so far for SFD in Wellington. Pretty excited to see so many people interested.

Talking about SFD and LCA2010 has brought me the great pleasure of hearing from a few Moodle users, so hoping to catch them at SFD tomorrow and hear how their Moodle use is going and if they will be at moodlemoot 2010 in April in Christchurch.
www.moodlemoot.co.nz
In reply to Tara Harper

by Paul Arrighi -

I had the very same dilema Mac or PC (Toshiba) the answer from a purely functional perspective is Mac as it can boot into Windows or indeed run a PC virtual session if needed.

The Mac range spec per spec is actually competitive although youre unlikely to negotiate a discount.

I am totally satisfied with my Macbook Pro (its now two years old) and recently upgraded to Snow Leopard and would never consider a return to a PC.

In reply to Tara Harper

I am typing this on my MacBook running Leopard with as it is 10pm on a Friday. However, from 8am to 5pm Monday to Friday I use an HP elitebook 6930p running Windows XP. During the weekend I use the Fedora based Sugar interface on an XO. I run Ubuntu in Virtual Box on my MacBook when I feel like a change.

The hardware and the operating system are pretty unimportant as long as there is connectivity. I probably can't go very long without the internet.

I do have Moodle running locally on my Macbook, otherwise all my Moodle work is via any machine handy with internet.

Differences come in smaller things - like browser behaviour. Know your browsers and test in some common ones.

Don't write instructions for students that might not match their scenario - for example, "right click to save this file" is not much use to someone on a Mac.

Software that I use ranges from FOSS to proprietary depending on the situation and owner of the machine. Good thing to check out if you are creating learning material for students on computer courses would be Debugmode's "Wink" screencapture software.

Good luck!
In reply to Tara Harper

by M. Commini -
Tara,

save your money! I was forced to purchase a Macbook Pro when I began my Master's program last year as the university I'm attending has some kind of deal with Apple for software and hardware. Most of my professors insist on using software designed only for Apple and will not grade any assignments turned in with any pc only software so my classmates and I had to purchase the Macs.

Since that time, fully two-thirds of us have had problems with our Macs in one way or another. Most often, they freeze up. In some cases, they unfreeze after a few minutes but more often than not, the only way to clear the problem is to hold the power button down until the computer shuts off. This of course means you lose whatever you've been working on.

Upgrading to Snow Leopard hasn't helped although I am currently testing the additional memory I installed today. My other classmates haven't been so lucky. One is currently waiting on a motherboard (her second), a harddrive (her third) and speakers (broken by the Apple Geniuses who fixed her computer the first time). Another has taken his Macbok Pro in three different times for the same problem and it's still not fixed. Out of twenty-four students, seventeen of us have had nothing but problems with our Macbook Pros.

I've had my Vista computer since early last year and I've NEVER had a problem with it. It's an HP touchpanel pc and has worked flawlessly the whole time.

The Macbook Pro isn't even a year old yet.

Save your money!