Chain of HPs

Chain of HPs

by d morte -
Number of replies: 8
I am new to HP and Moodle and am missing something in the process of stringing a few HP quizzes together. I've read a lot of forum postings, but just haven't figured it out yet. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm using the Java version of hotpotatoes6 (my school uses Apple) and uploading to my free site host (keytoschool.com) running moodle 1.9. I've created four files: a .jcl, .jcw, .jmx, and a .jqz - I would like for them to be all together so that when a student clicks on "Vocab Quiz" in the moodle course, it appears to them as one complete quiz, not four seperate activities.

I have uploaded those four files to a folder in my course. I have then gone to "activity" and the "hot potatoes quiz"... In the page that follows, there are options for quiz chain and show next quiz... I have tried setting them both to yes, and then making the file name be the directory hotpot/ ... It does find all four, and makes the first one visible, and the ones after that hidden, but it doesn't link them together... or if it does, when I click on the next activity arrow (using hp buttons) I get an error:

Sorry, the requested file could not be found

More information about this error

Stack trace:
  • line 5780 of lib/weblib.php: call to debugging()
  • line 191 of file.php: call to print_error()
  • line 178 of file.php: call to not_found()

If anyone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to d morte

Re: Chain of HPs

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
> I would like for them to be all together
> so that when a student clicks on "Vocab Quiz" in the moodle course,
> it appears to them as one complete quiz, not four seperate activities.

The QuizPort module would be better for this. I believe it is available to you on keytoschool.com

> It does find all four, and makes the first one visible,
> and the ones after that hidden, but it doesn't link them together...
> or if it does, when I click on the next activity arrow (using hp buttons)
> I get an error:

If you go to "Files" area of your course and click on the file of the first Hot Potatoes quiz in your chain, can you follow through the chain by clicking on the Hot Potatoes navigation buttons?

If so, are the Moodle HotPot activities set up to use *exactly* the same files as specified in the navigation buttons that Hot Potatoes inserts in the quizzes.

If you continue to have problems, please upload the quizzes to my server and I will investigate:
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by d morte -
Gordon, Thank you for replying.

I'm definitely missing something here. smile I'm learning though.

First, Why is quizport a more appropriate module for this? Yes, keytoschool does have this available to me. I just don't know what the difference is.

Second, I guess I'm not understanding how I should create a chain. When I create say a crossword in HP, am I supposed to add a link somehow to the end of the puzzle that connects it to the next part? If so, how do I do this?

In the meantime, I'll upload the files to your server. Thank you again for helping!

--- Edited ---
I've added my files to your server under a folder named: drew
In reply to d morte

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Thanks for uploading the quizzes to my server.

In the folder called "drew" I can see a jcl file, a jcw file, a jmx file and a jqz file. I notice you have not set up any of these exercises with next activity buttons. That's OK.

You can add these quizzes as a chain of by specifying the folder name, "drew", in the "File name" field when adding a new HotPot activity. You will also need to set the "Add quiz chain" to "Yes" and "Show next quiz: to "Yes" (see attached screenshot).

If you want to specify the quizzes to be in a specific order, then you will need to open them up and define a target for the "Next quiz" button (Options -> Configure Output -> Buttons). But you don't need to bother with that because once you have added the quizzes to Moodle, the students will be taken automatically to the next quiz in the chain as the finish each quiz.

hope that's clear
Gordon
Attachment hotpot.drew.chain.PNG

by d morte -
Gordon,
I just tried what you said, and had mixed success. It does create the four files in a row, but in the student role there is no way to navigate them. For instance, the only way to move on to the second page from the fill in the blank to the crossword, is to get all of the fill in the blank questions correct. Obviously there is a need to be able to move on despite wrong answers. I tried this on your server as well, and the same problem persisted. I also tried with all of the different options as far as navigation (moodle bar, frame, iframe, HP buttons, etc...) and nothing seemed to work.

Two steps forward!

Drew
In reply to d morte

by Gordon Bateson -
Good job Drew, you're making progress.

For your next step try this ...

> If you want to specify the quizzes to be in a specific order,
> then you will need to open them up and define a target for
> the "Next quiz" button (Options -> Configure Output -> Buttons).

... then you will be able to navigate the quizzes in the way you expect within the HotPot module.

by d morte -
Gordon, thank you for the play by play - it is very helpful.

Next step accomplished. I was able to set the next exercise and it did string them together. My step backwards here is that at the last exercise in the chain there is no "final submit" type of button. In order for the quiz to conclude, the answers all must be correct. How do I get around this?

In reply to d morte

by Gordon Bateson -

Drew,
good to hear the chaining is working how you want now.

> In order for the quiz to conclude, the answers all must be correct.
> How do I get around this?

Actually, this is the way that Hot Potatoes quizzes are designed to work. However, it is not uncommon for teachers to expect a different behavior, in which case I think the links below may be of interest to you:

all the best
Gordon

by d morte -
Those links were helpful. Now if only there were a way to make it apply to the other formats besides the jquiz. smile Oh well, still very useful.