Questionnaire - no login required

Questionnaire - no login required

by Andrew Moss -
Number of replies: 16
Is there a way to use this module to conduct questionnaires where the respondant does not have to be logged in?

Ideally, I would like a hidden page where I send the link to the page, and the questionnaire appears....and from my admin login, I can view / manage results.

Any ideas Moodlers?

Thanks!
Andrew
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrew Moss

Re: Questionnaire - no login required

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
You could place the questionnaire on the front page of your moodle site. When the questionnaire has been created, go to Update this questionnaire / Override permissions / Guest / Complete and submit a questionnaire : check the Allow radio button.
Hope that helps.
Joseph
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Andrew Moss -
Thanks Joseph. I had tried that, but it will now only allow one person to complete the questionnaire...any subsequent attempts receive a "You have already filled out this questionnaire for us." message.

I notice that there are private and public options for questionnaire....what is the difference, and how does one create a public questionnaire?

Many thanks.
Andrew

by Mikko Vasko -
Hi,

this solution might help us as well.

I have just one question: how can I create a questionnaire on the front page?

Thanks
Mikko
In reply to Mikko Vasko

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Mikko,
Here's a step-by-step howto create a questionnaire (or any other activity) on a Moodle frontpage.
Joseph
Attachment image00.jpg

by Mikko Vasko -
Thanks!

I created the questionniare on the front page, but when I go to
"Override permissions => Quest" The only option I see is "View hidden activities"? Any idea what might be wrong?

Thanks again for help,
Mikko
In reply to Mikko Vasko

by Joseph Rézeau -
This is what you should see (screenshot). Are you logged in as Admin? Do you have Admin privileges on the front page?
Joseph
Attachment image00.jpg

by Mikko Vasko -
Hi Joseph,

Thanks for quick reply again.

Yes, I'm logged as admin, but can't see any permissions related to questionnaire.
(Please see attachement).

Can this have something to do with the questionnaire version?
I have version 2007010801 installed.
Moodle 1.9.6 (Build: 20091021)

Best regards
Mikko
Attachment capture_07012010_100529.jpg
In reply to Mikko Vasko

by Joseph Rézeau -

The Override permissions feature was introduced in the Questionnaire plugin some time ago; it looks like you have an old version.

Please check that you have the latest version of Questionnaire for Moodle 1.9 installed (from the Modules and Plugins database).

Joseph

by Jean chung -
I'm also interested in the original question that started this thread. We are trying to give a survey to users who have just signed up/renewed/decided not to sign up. I managed to add a questionnaire to the front page without problem, and guests are able to view and fill it out. However, they still have to login as guests to fill out the survey, which makes it less likely that they'll fill it out. Also we usually have guest login disabled. Is there another way to make the questionnaire available... maybe by creating a new type of role?

Also, how could one create a hidden link to the questionnaire, rather than placing it on the main page?

Thanks!
In reply to Jean chung

by Randy Orwin -
Hi Jean,

Here is what I would do. The first thing I would do is go to the site administration block > Users > Permissions > User policies and tick the box next to the Auto-login guests so that if guest access is given to a course a visitor is automatically taken into the course. To hide a Questionnaire I would create a separate course and give it guest access. I would show at least two center sections and create the Questionnaire in the second section applying the permission overrides as described above so that guests can take the survey. Then to hide the actual questionnaire activity go into your course settings and only show one section in the middle of the page effectively hiding the Questionnaire. Now you can just send out the link to the survey and all should be good. smile
In reply to Randy Orwin

by Jean chung -
Thanks very much! That appears to have worked. For anyone else who might want to try the same thing, I made a new course with a Topics format, with 1 week/topic, set "Hidden sections are completely invisible", News items to show="0", Show Grades="No", Availability="This course is available to students", and Guest access="Allow guests without the key".

One more question... how does Moodle determine that it has a new guest? By cookies or by IP address? To prevent a guest from accidentally filling out the survey more than once, under "Update Questionnaire" I set Type to "Respond daily" rather than "respond many", and Respondent type is set to "anonymous".

Thank you very much again!
In reply to Jean chung

by Randy Orwin -
Hi Jean,

Moodle looks at anybody that isn't logged in as a guest. By setting your type to respond daily then the guest user can only complete the survey once per day. If you have many guests that want to complete the survey on the same day then they will get an error about not being able to complete the survey because it has already been completed. Unfortunately you can't guarantee a user will not be able to take the survey again unless they are an authenticated user. For multiple users to take the survey it will need to be set to respond many.

If you want a stand alone tool with more functionality then you can take a look at Lime Survey (free and open source or PHPESP also open source and the base for the Questionnaire module)
In reply to Randy Orwin

by Joseph Rézeau -

Totally agree with you, Randy. Moodle's questionnaire cannot guarantee that guests won't fill in a questionnaire several times. I also strongly recommend Open source LimeSurvey as the best alternative.

Joseph

In reply to Randy Orwin

by Jean chung -
Thanks again, Randy! I will check out Lime Survey!