Worksheet module

Worksheet module

by mandy honeyman -
Number of replies: 4
Hello,
I would like to work with someone to create a worksheet module.

I have to work with someone else because I'm at the beginning learning PHP so please forgive me for not just striding out on my own.....

Almost all of our teachers (secondary) use worksheets for general (non-statutory assessment) homework.

A worksheet in this sense means a mixture of these things all on one page:
  1. The requirement to write an explanation of a concept in a couple of sentences. (similar to glossary perhaps)
  2. The requirement to fill in missing words in one or two sentences (similar to hotpot cloze module)
  3. The requirement to answer multiple choice (quiz)
  4. possibly other similar requirements (I need to see more examples myself) and to repeat the above more than once.
  5. Finally submission to teacher (i.e. not interactive feedback) for marking - the quiz and cloze bits could be done for them on the fly.
It seems to me that as all of this functionality is already available in large modules (journal, quiz, hotpot), writing this new one could be mostly the job of grabbing bits of code from other places smile.

Comments, advice, help anyone??
cheers
Mandy

Average of ratings: -
In reply to mandy honeyman

Re: Worksheet module

by Ray Kingdon -
Mandy, I think the module you're looking for is called Lesson wink. Having had just a quick look at the latest code there is now an "Essay" type of question which could well cover your first requirement. I'm pretty sure it does the other things. Perhaps Michael could fill in the details/comment...

by Michael Penney -
Hi Mandy, Ray is right, the latest version of lesson does all that (automatically graded questions of the same sort as quiz plus teacher graded 'essay' questions).

The instructor graded part looks similar to assignment, with a list of students, their responses, a place for instructor comments, and a grade.

See http://learn.humboldt.edu/course/view.php?id=21&topic=3 for more info. You can download the code there and install over your old lesson module (back everything up first) visit your admin page and the new features will be installed.

Note that the left menu option requires new styles be added to your theme, the rest of the features work without other changes.

These changes are standard in 1.5.

In reply to Michael Penney

by mandy honeyman -
Hi
Thanks Ray, Michael,

I went to site and had a play, the only bit that I think is still missing (from my list) is the missing words element. But I'm definitely going to install it anyway.

This would be something like:

Moodle is the _________________ course management ___________ available on the world _________________ web.

1) greatest (with lots of different choices - non negative of course wink
2) system
3) wide

If you've played with HotPot at all, you'll see that it comes with a module called "Cloze" which does the above. I'd like to find a way to integrate it (the principle) into one place, with the other things like essay and multiple choce.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Mandy
PS Michael, your student guide to moodle is great. It would be lovely if something like this (perhaps with definable variables) could be included into basic moodle (as the teacher help is).

by mandy honeyman -
Hello,

I loaded your lesson module today. (Having renamed and moved old lesson module) but I get this error

Parse error: parse error in /www/hosts/lvc.org/www/courses/mod/lesson/db/mysql.php on line 1

???
cheers
Mandy