Will Moodle run well on a Zeus server?

Will Moodle run well on a Zeus server?

by John Bonner -
Number of replies: 9
I am considering migrating a moodle site to a new Linux server. It uses Zeus and not Apache. Are there any issues or modules that don't work on Zeus? I read something about problems with "pathinfo". Is this a serious problem?

John
Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Bonner

Re: Will Moodle run well on a Zeus server?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I've no idea... but.. please don't post the same question multiple times as it will just dilute your responses wink
In reply to Howard Miller

by John Bonner -
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm sorry for posting twice but I thought the installation section might have more readers and prompt even one reply. I have had no response so far and so I think I'll just go ahead with the migration to the Zeus server and hope it works.

John

In reply to John Bonner

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi John,

I did do a search and didn't find anything very useful. There were one or two people claiming to have problems but no answers. My interpretation is that (almost) nobody is using this platform. It will be interesting to hear how you get on.
In reply to Howard Miller

by John Bonner -
Thanks for the info. I recently looked to see if similar LAMP programs like Joomla or Drupal etc. can run on Zeus and I think Joomla has worked.
I will report back on my progress (or otherwise) when I finish the migration and upload Moodle. I'm not great at transferring a full Moodle site but I'll try it. If not, a new installation is the only option.

John
In reply to John Bonner

by John Bonner -
I just want to report success with a fresh install of Moodle (Linux) on our hosting company's new Zeus Web Server (ZWS). On first impression, it seems faster and runs very well.
They also use ZXTM for load balancing their cluster of servers and other things I don't fully understand. Good news, as I didn't see any information on Zeus servers in your documentation.

John Bonner
In reply to John Bonner

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi, I've just been pointed to this thread by a Moodler who left a comment on a post I made last week.

I have successfully managed to install the latest version of Moodle 1.9.7 on the same server, which is throwing out a report saying Web server software (Zeus/4.3) not supported when I tried to install the latest Moodle 2.0...!!!

I know that Moodle 2.0 isn't stable and far from ready, but even so I thought the fact that there is a download, it would have at least installed properly!

This is my post about the problem I'm faced with.

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=144149

Cheers

Mary
In reply to Mary Evans

by John Bonner -
I haven't tried to install Moodle 2.0 on the Zeus server. I'm using version 1.9 and it works fine. When I have time I will try an extra installation of version 2.0 but it will take time as their security won't allow uploading zip files so I have to ftp the files manually.

Will report back when i can.

John
In reply to John Bonner

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
John,

Just interested to find out if you did manage to get Moodle 2.0 to work on your server?

I'm still getting an error message

Mary
In reply to Mary Evans

by John Bonner -

I only just found your message. I installed Moodle 2 today (December 2010) and it works fine (so far) on ZWS (Zeus Web Server). My hosting company doesn't allow unzipping uploaded files, so I had to upload all the program files by ftp. Took ages but works fine.

John