Laboratory course format

Laboratory course format

by Ralf Bausinger -
Number of replies: 1
Hello Moodle experts,

I am quite new to Moodle and want to use it to organize the physics lab courses at our university. I could not find any experiences with similar course formats and hope this is a good starting point for some information.

I will appreciate any comments on the feasibility of using Moodle for the following course structure.

There are 20 physics experiments in total. Each group (two students) has to complete 4 out of these 20 experiments, which are assigned to them. They have to conduct one experiment every three weeks. In the mean time they have to do some activities like discussing their results with the supervisor, peer teaching other groups which are going to do the same experiment and handing in a report.

So every student (group) has quite an individual timetable, but the individual groups work together in peer teaching and reviewing.

My idea is to make the assignment to the experiments and the timetable outside of Moodle and import this list as user data into Moodle. Could you please comment on this or share any experience?

I am not sure about the course structure. The whole lab course should provide some documents relevant for all experiments, like "Report howto" or "Giving feedback". And also wikis for the individual experiments. Any suggestions how to organise this in meta/sub/ courses are welcome!

Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts and best regards,
Ralf

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ralf Bausinger

Re: Laboratory course format

by Paula Clough -

I am not quite sure what you mean by, "My idea is to make the assignment to the experiments and the timetable outside of Moodle and import this list as user data into Moodle. Could you please comment on this or share any experience?" 

Do you mean you will assign which students will do which assignments or that you will have the assignment posting etc. outside of Moodle?

Also will this by a hybrid course with Face-2-Face instruction as well as online instruction?

Actually from what I understand of what you have said so far, doing this kind of class is exactly the kind of thing that Moodle can do.  You can use groups in the Moodle assignments and resources if you want to narrow down how and why different students have access to different assignment, or if the students can only see each others posts in a forum or the entire classes posts.  Forums and Wikis can provide opportunities for the students to do the peer teaching as well as the experiments.

Experiment descriptions could be in downloadable word processing files or could be in a webpage format, where students could click on the link and open up the experiment info. 

This could be done all in one course depending on which resources you utilize.  That might be perferable to trying to have several courses and meta and child courses.