Problem with JQuiz

Problem with JQuiz

by Neelima Ramesh -
Number of replies: 9
Hi..

I have some problem with the JQuiz exercises. Here's the problem.
I have a couple of exercises in a particular QuizPort. These exercises include a JQuiz exercise too. Now normally, when one exercise is over and the student gets the minimum marks to pass the test, moodle automatically directs him/her to the next exercise. But this dosen't happen for the JQuiz exercises. Could you tell me what the problem is and how I can solve it?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Neelima Ramesh

Re: Problem with JQuiz

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Maybe, but could you first tell us what happens after the jquiz is finished?
Also, does this jquiz have your custom hide/show button in the left-hand container, or any other custom JavaScript?
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Neelima Ramesh -
Yes it does contain the custom show/hide button in the left container.

When the JQuiz is over, nothing happens. I mean, it just gives me the final score and stays in that page.The only way I can get out of that page is with the help of the "Index" or the "Next" button (I have removed the "Back" button form my exercises). and when I use any of these, the score doesn't get registered. The status of that quiz shows "in progress" when I check from the admin login.

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks for the extra information.

> Yes it does contain the custom show/hide button in the left container.

If I were you, I would replace this quiz with a standard jquiz and see what happens. If the standard jquiz behaves differently from the customized jquiz then you will know that it is your customizations that are causing the problem.

> When the JQuiz is over, nothing happens

This means that either the jquiz does not think it is completed, or there has been a javascript error. Can you confirm whether or not there was a javascript error? For example, using the IE script debugger or the FF Error console.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Neelima Ramesh -
Hi Gordon!

Looks like there is some problem with my customized jquiz. But I'm still not able to figure out how that can happen or even, what exactly is happening. I'm pretty new at this. I need your help again please..

The check to find if all the questions have been answered, is giving a positive result. What are the other criteria to be satisfied to complete the quiz?

I don't see any kind of an infinite loop anywhere.

I'm really confused.. Plz help.

by Gordon Bateson -
I am a little busy at the moment to be able to investigate fully, but as a general approach to solving this kind of problem I suggest you start with something that works, i.e. a standard JQuiz, and work slowly toward your goal, adding things in small steps, and checking the actual behavior is the expected behavior at every step.

If you customizations are just displaying the hidden text when a button is clicked then I can't immediately see how that would affect the scoring or completion of the quiz, so my first guess would be that there is a JavaScript error that prevents the quiz sending its results back to Moodle.

However, that's just my initial hunch. You know much more about what your code does than I do, so I encourage you to follow your own inclinations.

You're welcome to upload the latest version of your quiz to my server, so we can all have a look at the code in context.

Gordon

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Neela,

When I modify the source code for Hot Potatoes (and I do it a lot, thanks to Martin Holmes for showing us how), I go through a number of steps :
  1. I make sure the exercise using the new source code works fine on my computer in at least 2 browsers (usually Firefox and IE 8).

2. I upload the exercise to an "ordinary" web site (not Moodle) and check it works there. If it doesn't I check the code at http://validator.w3.org/ If there's a problem with the code I fix it. Hot Potatoes 6 has very few bugs as it's quite old, so if there's a problem, it's 99.99% certain it's my modifications are causing it. I search http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/hotpotatoesusers/ to see if the problem has already come up and been answered.

3. If the code validates but the exercise doesn't work correctly, I ask a question on http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/hotpotatoesusers/ and give a link to my online exercise. However kind and however competent developers and other users are, they can't help if they can't see the problem online.
    You have from now until the end of August to get help from the Hot Potatoes developers, afterwards it'll just be the users helping other users - but there are some very smart and helpful users. wink

4. If the exercise works online in an ordinary site, I try it out on my local version of the latest stable version of Moodle. If there's a problem I upload the exercise to Gordon's site. The Hot Pot Module is quite old too, so there are few bugs in it and up till now, Gordon's always been able to show me where I'm going wrong when he can see an exercise on his server.

5. If the exercise works fine in the Moodle Hot Potatoes Module, then I try it on my local installation of QuizPort. If there are problems I upload the QuizPort to or recreate it on Gordon's site.
    QuizPort is in beta, so it's normal that there be some problems to iron out, but if we users don't go through the first 4 steps, we can't help Gordon to pinpoint specifically QuizPort problems.
The only valid reason for using QuizPort at the moment is to help Gordon get it out of beta as quickly as possible. .... Euh, well yes, I do have selfish reasons too - QuizPort does so many useful things that I want to use now.

Hope I don't come over as "preachy" but I'm very aware of how valuable developers' time is.

Cheers,
Glenys
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Not preachy at all - a beatifully phrased postsmile
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Neelima Ramesh -
Hey Glenys!

Thanks for that. I'm going to try doing all that and try to solve my problem. And it was not preachy at all.
Thanks!

Neelima

by Neelima Ramesh -
Hi all!

Thanks for all your help. I finally figured out the problem. It was a silly mistake and I can't believe overlooked it! All your tips helped me a lot.

Thanks again smile

Neelima