wiki icon swastika

wiki icon swastika

by Laura Dickinson -
Number of replies: 3
I was going to create a wiki on my dev install of moodle. And the icon in front of "Adding a new Wiki to topic.." looks like a swastika.

I realise that this is not intentional but I suggest that this could be taken the wrong way. Therefore perhaps another icon should replace it.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Laura Dickinson

Re: wiki icon swastika

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi Laura
I'm sure the Wiki icon is in fact trying to represent the weaving of ideas within a collaboratively created document...

If you feel the icon should be replaced for you Moodle site take a look at the Moodle docs on changing the icons via the creating your own theme page. This is a relatively easy process and provides a personalised Moodle interface for your users smile

I hope this helps
Cheers
Teresa
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Arjen Vrielink -
I understand your hesitation but please realise that you reason from a culturally biased perspective. If you'd for example visit Japan, you will find swastikas everywhere on maps as they indicate the location of Buddhist temples.

However, Moodle is a flexible system and it's fairly easy to switch icons, as Teresa indicates.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Just me $00.02 here...

I've stared at this for ages and struggle to see how it looks like a swastika. It don't see the bent arms. Even if it does, it's an ancient symbol. It's not the symbols fault some nasty people adopted it.