External files only?

External files only?

by David Gray -
Number of replies: 2

Moodle 2.0 is sounding exciting, and the idea of repositories and the file API are wonderful ideas, but I'd like to find out a little more about what the repository API is all about. From what I can understand, we can have files stored on, say, Google Docs and bring them in to Moodle to use as regular files, without having to open a new window, go to Google Docs, log in, download, upload to Moodle.

But what I'm really wanting to know is, can we do simple "shortcuts" using the repository (or files) API? For example, we have a P: drive where staff put course related material and to prevent data duplication, we'd rather not use Moodle to store our files. Can the repository API let you link to files without having to copy them in to Moodle? Ideally, staff would love to browse for a file and instantly find the entire contents of P drive there ready to browse and link.

And could we also set up repositories on a user level? So students can add images to posts and when they click to browse a file, find their home drive available to browse AND still be able to access P drive if the image is located there

Am I making sense here? Is this possible? Has this been asked before?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Gray

Re: External files only?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Yes. This is MDL-18520. Work in progress.
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: External files only?

by David Gray -

Thanks for the reply Tim. This is what I wanted to hear! Moodle 2.0 can't come out fast enough if you ask me ;)

But another question relating to this: Will the tracker issue you linked to allow "Shortcuts" to these files, or will you still have to copy them over from Moodle? I'm guessing it's the former, given that we can do the latter already (albeit with some extra steps), but I just wanted clarification because people at work are asking about it.

Cheers, and excuse the late reply. My allocated time for Moodle has been shrinking more and more sad