Where is Add a Resource for front page side blocks?

Where is Add a Resource for front page side blocks?

by Jocelyn Graf -
Number of replies: 4
I've got too much text on my front page, so I'd like to put the first few lines of each block on the home page, then a link that says "Read more . . ."

For the main front page block in the center (called "section 1"), there is a drop-down menu called Add a Resource where I can choose Compose a Web Page and copy and paste the full text.

However, when I insert an HTML block into one of the side columns, there's no option to Add a Resource. I could just write in my own code for the link, but then, I can't figure out how to actually create the page I'm linking to. Does it go in the Site Files? In the Resources? Neither of those has a Compose a Web Page button either.

I assume that I could upload an HTML file, but then it wouldn't look like the rest of the site, with the frame around it.

Or, should I use another type of Block? I couldn't find any that would give me the Add a Resource menu, except the Main Menu, and it seems I can only have one of those.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jocelyn Graf

Re: Where is Add a Resource for front page side blocks?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
One way is to make an open access course and then make a webpage in there and hyperlink to that webpage from the block via a text link.
Make a course - open to guests without the key and turn on autologin for guests -turn on the editing in that course and add a webpage -type in your information. Get the url of that webpage and paste it or link it into the body of your html block. This has the advantage of the page not being visible on the front page and cluttering it up.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jocelyn Graf -
That's a good idea. I ended up inventing a similar workaround. I put all the links in the Main Menu block, then hid that block. Good to know I wasn't missing something obvious. I think I will use your method for other parts of the site.
In reply to Jocelyn Graf

by António Gonçalves -
The design his always the problem in moodle. You could change the theme of your moodle site, there are plenty of it on the moodle.org or you can add blocks once you turn editing on, and compose them. In the middle you have the upper block and the forum news. Bye António
In reply to António Gonçalves

by Jocelyn Graf -
Thanks, Antonio. Interesting that this problem only exists in some themes, if what you're saying is correct.