Quizzes Shunted down Page

Quizzes Shunted down Page

by Deborah Delin -
Number of replies: 9
Hi Gordon

You mentioned that you noticed that some quizzes were shunted down the page in IE6 and Quizport. I just observed this in a few of my quizzes. I re-wrote the quizzes and they are now testing OK in IE6 but I am wondering if this is reliable and if the error might occur on other people's browsers?

Did you get to the bottom of this problem and is there anything I can do to avoid this happening? I did check and the quizzes validated OK.

Thanks in advance.

Deborah
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deborah Delin

Re: Quizzes Shunted down Page

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Deborah,

> Did you get to the bottom of this problem

Well, I know exactly what causes it. And I know it only occurs in IE6.

> is there anything I can do to avoid this happening?

The fix is to make sure IE6 gets the following style definition somehow:
  • .tabtree { height: auto; }
This will override the css that causes the shunting.

In order to fix this site on babeeboo.com, the main development site for QuizPort, I put the fix into the theme, so all pages on that site get it. I thought I had also put the fix into the QuizPort styles file, but it looks like I didn't. I will do that now, so the next time QuizPort is updated on your site you will ge the fix too, without needing to change anything in your quizzes or settings.

Thanks for reminding me about this issue.

best regards
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Deborah Delin -
Hi Gordon

Thank you. That's good news that there's a fix. I will get Quizport updated.

Gordon, would it be possible to post a link to the Quizport help files here?

Thanks very much.

Deborah

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Deborah,
oops, sorry the help files were not in the zip download.
I have added them along with the tabtree fix.

But hold on ...

I am working on a fix for the glossaries just at the moment, so please wait for my next post until you download. It shouldn't take long

Gordon

by Deborah Delin -
Hi Gordon,

As it's not me who updates the server I don't actually know how to access the zip files. Could you possibly send a link either to the zip or to the help files?

And Gordon, I am so sorry but I am still having a problem with the iSprings. It is totally illogical but I have spent about 4 hours this morning on it and am really beginning to wonder if it isn't me, although it seems it must be.

All the iSprings on my "B1 Starting to Read" course are working, but I was only able to get no's 7 and 8 working by adding an extra html file with the:

<html>
<head><title>B_8a_Digraphs</title></head>
<body style="text-align: center">
<a href="B_8a_Digraphs.swf?d=100%x100%">click here</a>
</body>
</html>

code. That got them working in IE6.

On the "B1 Starting to Read - English Speakers course", all the presentations went up beautifully, working fine in all the browsers I tried, until I got to Presentations 7 and 8. I cannot get them to work in Firefox or IE8, let alone IE6. I upload them as I did the others but when I select them from the Edit Quizzes page I arrive at a link to the swf. I tried adding in the html file but it didn't help. I have re-converted and re-uploaded them countless times. I know it is totally illogical that they work fine in one course and not in another ............. I have stared and stared at the names but I think they are all labelled correctly. I am stumped. When you have the time I would be very grateful if you would have a look at them and, I hope, point out what on earth I am missing.

Sorry Gordon, just what you need on a Sunday afternoon.......

Deborah

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Deborah,
the zip file is ready:
I will have a look at the new iSpring presentations ...
I think you just have to set:
  • Navigation: None
  • Use media filter: Moodle's standard media filter
... yes, they seem to be working nicely now approve

all the best
Gordon

by Deborah Delin -
Hi Gordon

That's what I spent 4 hours not discovering? Aargh! I wonder if life for the technologically challenged ever gets easier? Thanks so much for pointing that out.

I didn't see anything that seemed to be a help file in the new zip file.

Regards,

Deborah

by Gordon Bateson -
hi Deborah,
glad to hear the iSpring presentations are working for your now.

> I wonder if life for the technologically challenged ever gets easier?

Oh definitely. It gets easier one step at a time smile

> I didn't see anything that seemed to be a help file in the new zip file.

Hmm ... perhpas we are talking about different things. I was talking about the help files for each setting on the unit, quiz and condition pages. When you click on the help icons, help.gif, you should get a little popup window with a description of what the setting does.

But perhaps you are asking for something else? Maybe more of a introduction to QuizPort. I am am working on that over here (it is a work in progress):
It will eventually include screen shots and links to video tutorials, and it is the main focus of my work at the moment. Is that more what you were looking for?

Gordon

by Deborah Delin -
Hi Gordon

No, I don't see anything labelled "help" in that zip file. It was labelled 1.0 but when I click the link I arrive at the 0.9 version so maybe that's why?

An the Introduction to QuizPort is certainly very welcome - thank you.

Deborah

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Deborah,
FYI, the help files are all located in the following folder within the zip file:
  • quizport/lang/en_utf8/help
When the "Introduction to QuizPort" is fuller I will use it as the basis for help pages on the Moodle docs site.

all the btes
Gordon