Open Assignment for Individual Students

Open Assignment for Individual Students

by Tiffany Morgan -
Number of replies: 2
Hello
Does anyone have a way to allow specific students to submit an assignment for the first time, after a due date, and without allowing any other students to submit after the due date? (In WebCT this was a selective release where you could list those students names who had permissions to upload)

An example situation would be allowing a student who was out sick or had a valid reason for needing an extension make a submission, but not allowing any other student to make a submission.

I see that I could set the due date, allow late submissions and then just give zeros to any student that submits but did not have an extension, but ideally I would like to prevent those students without the extension from even uploading a file.

Thanks!
Tiff

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tiffany Morgan

Re: Open Assignment for Individual Students

by Hartmut Scherer -
Hi Tiffany,

I use groupings in this case. All students are already in individual groups. So if the need arises that one or more need an extension, I just add their group names to the grouping (e.g., extended due date) and set the activity or assignment to groupings. Those who do not belong to the group cannot access the assignment or groupings. You will also not lose the grades of the other students who submitted something on time. The only disadvantage of using groupings is that the assignment or activity will not be accessible for students, i.e., they may not see your feedback and grade for a while.

With kind regards,

Hartmut
In reply to Hartmut Scherer

Re: Open Assignment for Individual Students

by Tiffany Morgan -
Thanks Hartmut
I was wondering about groups and it sounds like that is one solution..We dont currently use groups but I wonder if a group could be created called "extend due date" and then add an remove students to that group as needed?

The other thing I'm wondering about is Advanced uploading of files. Right now all of our assignments are set as Upload Single file. It seems that if I change the assignments to Advanced Uploading then I get all the possible settings available in Upload single file, as well as those in Advanced Uploading (which would allow an additional file to be uploaded without overwriting the first file). Thinking there may be no advantage at all to the single file...

Looks like I have more testing ahead of me today....