Uploading files (resources) and functionality

Uploading files (resources) and functionality

by dai barnes -
Number of replies: 7
OK. Hello. My first post. Hope it's something other than stupid.

When uploading a file, why is there not a quick upload feature whereby the filename is used as the link text and you bypass the whole *Choose* file/library pages? Something like an email attachment. Teachers are often running on the fly and need quick uploads.

Also, on a related matter, am I right in thinking that if I were to host my school's moodle (http://stbens.org.uk) internally, it would improve access speeds on our network and I could point the main (front page) file repository to a shared drive on the network so staff could drag and drop into it so files are readily available?

Finally, I am planning on using global groups with integration of MIS (SIMS) data when Moodle2.0 is released. The model I am thinking of is that *master* courses would be created for a unit of work and the groups (school classes) could be picked up from anywhere in the site and deployed to the required course. Is this on the money? Can I do any of this in 1.9.5?

Hope this is appropriate to post.

TIA

Dai
Average of ratings: -
In reply to dai barnes

Re: Uploading files (resources) and functionality

by Paul Fynn -

Hello Dai, and welcome in!

Definately other than stupid, but perhaps more appropriate in the developer forums.wink

My development of your question is - students loading files get to put them straight in, whereas teachers have to go through a two stage process through the directory. This is a dealbreaker, as the tutors get lost when they first start. Why not work the other way round - load the resource where its required, then ask the teacher where it should be stored?

My colleagues just don't 'get it' the way it curerently works.

Anyone else feel the same?

In reply to Paul Fynn

by dai barnes -
That's my experience too Paul.

It's my colleagues who are forever tagging Moodle with the word *clunky* and refusing to go any further because they expect similar performance.

Uploading files is a great way to get teachers (low IT ability ones) using Moodle, but now, with the benefit of hindsight, I am starting to think that this is the wrong way to roll Moodle out in a school. Instead I would focus all my energies on encouraging the use of the many activities, not the resources.

Thanks, Dai
In reply to dai barnes

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

[quote] Uploading files is a great way to get teachers (low IT ability ones) using Moodle, but now, with the benefit of hindsight, I am starting to think that this is the wrong way to roll Moodle out in a school. Instead I would focus all my energies on encouraging the use of the many activities, not the resources.

Dai, Dai: you are so right !smile

And in fact- the process involved in uploading your resources is much more compicated for some teachers than actually setting up  some of the more interactive stuff like forums/assigments and webpage anyway.

Regarding site wide groups, there is a hack you can add -details here but it depends on whether your hosts will do it for you.

Average of ratings: Very cool (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Paul Fynn -
Given that resource upload appears to be an issue for a few of us, can we come up with and agree a specific suggestion and get it into the Tracker ??
In reply to dai barnes

by Lynn Scarlet Clark -
maybe this is help for your first query? For putting a file onto Moodle for someone else to use, just save the file in the appropriate directory (each course has a unique numbered folder). Save it into a separate 'downloads' or 'resources' file (whatever you want to call it - something obvious - and save that in this numbered folder. eg http://...../moodle/2/resources/yourfilename.ext

Then, in your course page link to the folder, not the file. Keep all your files for download there - makes it much more simple for teachers to download and uses the filenames as the link.
In reply to Lynn Scarlet Clark

by dai barnes -
This is definitely a good idea Scarlet. Thanks.

I've used directory display before but only for bulk upload. Good idea to use it as a link to a file store and simply upload new files into the associated folder. I'll start using this.

Thanks again.
In reply to dai barnes

by Minh-Tam Nguyen -
you could even connect to Moodle course folders using WebDAV, which allows you to then drag and drop files in explorer or finder.