Switch off Automatic Display of New Resource?

Switch off Automatic Display of New Resource?

by Ray Le Couteur -
Number of replies: 4

Hi

I have just upgraded to 1.41 and  one change I notice is that when a teacher adds a resource (file/html message etc), the file automatically loads/displays and the teacher is no longer returned to the course page as previously.

Any way to switch off this new behaviour (which I feel is potentially confusing for teachers)?

Thanks in advance.

Ray

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ray Le Couteur

Re: Switch off Automatic Display of New Resource?

by N Hansen -
I can understand how any change might lead to confusion, but it actually is a much better way for it to work, as it allows the teacher to see what the resource actually looks like so that they may edit it immediately if there are problems. Personally, I didn't even notice the change, but now that you mention it I actually have to say I like it a lot.
In reply to N Hansen

by Ray Le Couteur -

Yes, I agree that seeing the resource is potentially good; but I feel it would be much better if the teacher was then returned to the course page to add their next resource.  

Instead, they are left in an odd sort of blank area - and require an extra click to return to the course. Click the wrong link and they are sent to the list of resources (quite possibly confusing).

Also,  teachers may not be aware that they are gettig the student 'view'. The natural thing to do is to go to the course and test the link, as seen by the student.

Ray

In reply to Ray Le Couteur

by Genner Cerna -
I too felt the same...
In reply to Genner Cerna

by Chris West -
course/mod.php

line 99...
    if (isset($mod->redirect)) {
                    $SESSION->returnpage = $mod->redirecturl;
                } else {
                    //$SESSION->returnpage = "$CFG->wwwroot/mod/$mod->modulename/view.php?id=$mod->coursemodule";
                    //changed so that after submitting an update to a resource
                    // you are taken back to the course page
                }

line 162, same...
     if (isset($mod->redirect)) {
                } else {
                    //$SESSION->returnpage = "$CFG->wwwroot/mod/$mod->modulename/view.php?id=$mod->coursemodule";
                    //changed so that after submitting a new resource
                    // you are taken back to the course page
                  }

Average of ratings: Useful (1)