Find it add in works with Hotpot....

Find it add in works with Hotpot....

by Deborah Delin -
Number of replies: 7
Hi Gordon,

I was pleased to discover that Michael Rottemeier's add-on "Find It" appears to function with Quizport. (It treats the quiz slightly differently than the Hotpot Module -the gapped words appear larger than the other words - but that might be to do with the way I changed the fonts and is get roundable).

I am just formulating a new course which I would love to run with Quizport. I just wanted to double check with you that "Find It" quizzes are OK to use with Quizport and won't rock the boat?

Thanks in advance.

Deborah
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deborah Delin

Re: Find it add in works with Hotpot....

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello Deborah,
QuizPort knows all about FindIt ("a" and "b"), so please go ahead and have fun creating those exercises.

go, go go!
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Deborah Delin -
Hi again,

Is it possible, though, that Quizport is increasing the gapped word size in the Findit (a) addon, which then comes out bigger than the incorrect words, which is a bit of a giveaway? That's what it does for me anyway. The same exercises come out with the same size text on my computer and in Hotpot Module.

I have adjusted the source files to take care of the problem but am just thinking that if it is a bug of sorts it could cause problems for others. Of course, it could just be one mighty tangle which my unique talents have brought about and if that is the case I apologise for bothering you with this.

Deborah

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Thanks for reporting this Deborah. I will investigate in due course smile but probably not till next week - Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -
Deborah,
it will help me to investigate if you could set up a quiz on my server that doesn't behave as expected. Then I can quickly determine what the cause of the issue is, and start thinking about a fix.

thanks
Gordon

by Deborah Delin -
Hi Gordon

I have uploaded a test Findit exercise to your site and made it into a Quizport. I am getting a preg. error when I try to preview the test in Quizport and the gapped words don't show up atall. I have added the same exercise in the Hotpot module and it shows up fine on your site, with the correct and incorrect words on the right all the same size. What I found when I added it as a Quizport on my site was that the gapped words were bigger than the incorrect words. The exercise is in the file deborah_test and is called findit_quizport_test.

I have adjusted the table,div,span,td{font-size: 120%; in the hp6.cs file, so I don't know if tht might be responsible. If it is my error I apologise.

Thanks for looking into this.

Deborah

by Gordon Bateson -
Oops, sorry my bad. I have fixed the "preg" error.

Because of the error, QuizPort didn't recognize your html as a FindIt file, but now the error is fixed, QuizPort correctly detects that the html file is a FindIt (a) file.

I see what you mean about the different sizes of the words on the left. It would well have something to do with the CSS adjustments you made, but I have a good idea of what to check for that so I will report back next week.

BTW, I noticed that if you set the source file to findit_quizport_test.jcl and the output_format to "FindIt(a) from JCloze HP6 xml", then the letters on the right hand side come out in a different size again.

Probably the solution will be to change your CSS to use only block elements containing text:
  • div, td {font-size: 120%}
There is no need to add "table" because "td" will override it. And I think you should leave out "span" because that is not a block element, and if you had nested spans like this ...
  • <span>this is 120%<span>this is 144% (120% x 120%)</span></span>
... then the font-size increase of the text in the inner span gets compounded, which seems to be what has happened in your case.

out for now
Gordon

by Deborah Delin -
Hi again Gordon!

I just wanted to let you know that I fiddled further and uploaded another Findit quiz to your site and it is working fine now with consistent fonts. I think taking out span and table from the source did work in the end so thank you for helping me with that.

Best regards,

Deborah