Google Wave

Google Wave

by Michael Glover -
Number of replies: 8
I have been looking at Google Wave, a new exciting project. For anyone that doesn't know what google wave is check it out here.
http://wave.google.com

One of the cool feature in Google Wave is dragging and dropping files onto a wave (email) and they are instantly uploaded. No going to Browse... Upload a File. Just dragging the file from the desktop onto the webpage. Now apparently this technology uses system called Gears, and possibly HTML 5.

Does anyone know if there is a plan to implement this type of technology into a future version of Moodle?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Glover

Re: Google Wave

by Sandy Pittendrigh -
Google Wave looks pretty good to me: perhaps yet another nail in an increasingly elaborate Microsoft coffin.

Wave will be open source, so developers could--theoretically--embed it into anything.
But the GWT widgets Wave is based on assume an entirely different server-side
technology than the apache/PHP technology Moodle is based on. I'm sure Moodle
on the server could (somehow) be made to interact with GWT widgets in the browser.
But I don't think it would be easy. So you'd need a good reason to make that effort.
Wave would be easier to integrate into Sakai.

What was your idea? How do see Wave's collaborative bulletin-board or Graphical-Wiki-like
screens fitting in to an online classroom? Perhaps as a slick replacement
for the discussion forum?

In reply to Sandy Pittendrigh

by Sandy Pittendrigh -
There are some *long-term* implications to Google Wave that will, I think,
change everything.

A buddy and colleague of mine was at the recent Google IO conference, where they introduced the Google Wave project. My friend and the other members of his team were amazed at how fast Wave was, particularly considering the demo appeared to be semi-simultaneously updating a single document, from several different incoming connections. This is the basis of their "chat" and "collaboration" features. Email is no longer a text message that gets passed around like a cloned baton. It is a centrally-located document available to a configurable list of readers and writers.

There was some speculation this might be happening because of bi-directional socket connections, which is a tentative draft specification option for the upcoming HTML5.

I could be talking through my hat here. Perhaps I have this all wrong. But if HTML5 is going to include optional bi-directional socket connections, then the whole web-programming paradigm will change for the better. And code that does not adapt will fall by the wayside.

With bi-directional communication, everything will become a web-application. Then all software will live in the cloud, rather than on your desktop. Web-apps will no longer have to refresh the screen after each hand-shake with the server. Ajax and all the complex logic surrounding its asynchronous messaging will be like t&^s on a bull.

Web-apps will be just as powerful and rich as any locally executed application. And Moodle will have to be rewritten, from the ground up, or die.

In reply to Sandy Pittendrigh

by Scott Wilson -
We have implemented Google Wave widgets using our existing open-source Widget engine (Wookie), which enables you to include W3C Widgets in Moodle Blocks.

Here's a post with a screenshot:

http://www.cetis.ac.uk/members/scott/blogview?entry=20090601115357

And another one:

http://zope.cetis.ac.uk/members/scott/blogview?entry=20090227190013

As you say, this doesn't rely at all on Moodle's PHP technology for the Widgets, which can run entirely in the browser and have no server-side component other than the generic Widget engine itself.

What this implies for all VLEs, not just Moodle, is that all of the "tools" and functionality can now be delivered using external components, without any deep hooks into the platform API.

What's left is the management of the context and users.

Perhaps like Elgg 1.0, Moodle 2.0 ought to strip out all the "features" and just provide the core structure, and leave all activities and blocks to be provided as Wave Gadgets, W3C Widgets and OpenSocial applications?

(Btw if you want an API key to try out Widgets in your Moodle, just ask)

S

by sudhakardayal srivastava -
Is there any plug-in / software to link Moodle with Google-Wave
In reply to sudhakardayal srivastava

by dave lincoln -
i haven't seen google wave yet, it was previously invite only.
In reply to dave lincoln

by Dennis Delaney -

Just go to www.google.com/wave and sign up.

Naturally, you need a gMail account. Now you
also have Google Buzz to look it. It integrates with
gMail with a link right on your right menu. 

by jenny boynton -
Yes this tool has so much functionality built in. It could drastically increase productivity for companies that have employees in different areas. hcg diet.