Incorporating an HTML page into Quizport

Incorporating an HTML page into Quizport

by Deborah Delin -
Number of replies: 4
Hi Gordon

I have been playing with Quizport on your site. Lovely!!

I have two questions. The first is rather a minor point:

1. I have been in the practice of uploading both the .jmt/.jqz etc. files and the .htm of the hotpot to the Hotpot Module. When I select an .htm to be the head of a chain,the Hotpot Module automatically makes a chain of .htm's. When I chose an .htm file to be the first of a chain in Quizport, Quizport then loaded both the .htm and the .jmt file of each quiz into the Quizport. I then had to delete one of each pair or the Quizport as otherwise it would, presumably, have doubled up on each quiz. I am feeling horrible about this as I know you made an adjustment on this point after a previous question of mine. I know you want Quizport to be intuitive. I am thinking that in future I will only upload the .htm's to the course and just wondered if this is what you would recommend?

2. I included an html presentation in the folder and put it in the middle of my quizzes. Quizport led me beautifully into the presentation after I had fulfilled the post-conditions of the previous quiz. big grin But the presentation showed up as about a third, horizontally of the screen. Please see screenshot below. Indeed there was a very nice "continue" button underneath. But the screen was way too small. I had to search for a full screen button on my presentation and then reduce it when it had finished. Too confusing for students. Did I miss some setting to set the screen to take up, say, two thirds of the screen instead of a third?

Oh and also, would now be a good time to ask my server to update Quizport? Have you finished your intensive work on it for the moment or should I wait a bit longer?

Thanks so much Gordon,

Deborah

Attachment Untitled-1.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deborah Delin

Re: Incorporating an HTML page into Quizport

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

HI Deborah,
thanks for experimenting on my server. I will have a look tomorrow at what you have done, and see it the situation can be improved.

must get some sleep now though ... sleepy
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Deborah,
in order to get the media player to use the full screen in Moodle, you will need to remove the DOCTYPE line from index.html.

At the moment, the first line of your "index.html" file is as follows:

<!-- <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> -->

The first few characters mean that the browser treats this line as a comment and ignores it. However, QuizPort thinks it is a real DOCTYPE line, and extracts the <!DOCTYPE ... > part to use as part of the page that it sends to the browser.

Since the point of adding those <!-- and --> chars is to remove the line, I suggest you just remove that line from all files which use it. A text/html file editor with multi-file search and replace functionality e.g. Notepad++ (free), DreamWeaver ($$), can do this without you needing to modify each file individually.

I checked the adding of quiz chains, and QuizPort was able to following the chain starting at "B_1b.htm" and going through to "B_1n.htm". All the jmt and jqz files have been removed now from that folder, so I was not able to reproduce the situation you reported. I will try on another folder I have in my testing arsenal. It contains chain html files and the original Hot Potatoes files too.

out for now
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -
Hmm, I added a chain of html files in a folder that also contained their Hot Potatoes source files (jcl, jcw, jmt, jmx, jqz)and the chain was added as I expected, that is to say, only the html files were added.

Therefore, I think what happened in your case was that QuizPort added all the files in the folder. It would only do that if you entered the folder name as teh source file instead of the file name.

If you would like me to continue investigating, please could you put the Hot Potatoes source files back in the "deborah_test" folder and let me have look.

thanks
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -
Thanks for the private email Deborah. I am glad to hear you have sorted everything out and are good to go!

regards
Gordon