A simple calculated question type

Re: A simple calculated question type

by Pierre Pichet -
Number of replies: 0
Matt ,
Thanks for your comments.

'there's too much going on'
The most current objection to calculated question is the need to generate the data values.
Users on the forum suggest that data should be generated on-the-fly when the question is used so that creating a calculated question could be simpler.
This cannot be done because the values MUST give valid results in the formula written by the user.(i.e no dive by zero...)
This is why I put the most current features of calculated in a single page which cannot be simplified too much unless you drop some options on the interval or good response display.
However default values for these parameters work most of the time and errors are detected at the validation process.

"but is the main reason for making it one page from three to remove the shared dataset option?"
The shared dataset option is difficult to handle as is the actual datasets generating options of the regular calculated.
I prefer to leave this as two question types, the regular calculated versatility is difficult to handle for the current user.
This is a more important feature as students can be allowed to create questions.

However I am planning a two page simpler interface for the regular calculated having learned how to put the editing data in a virtual "moodleform" structure so that you could do a real cancel.
This is not the case of the actual three steps process.
I will also implement the real sharing of values between questions in a same quiz which is the real interest in shared datasets.

So if you have any specific improvment to the single page proposal, feel free to put them here in the forum or in the tracker if necessary(MDL-17366).

Pierre