Wolfram|Alpha API and integration

Wolfram|Alpha API and integration

by Marc Grober -
Number of replies: 9
While wolfram is a commercial entity and uses it's own text expression syntax, wolfram|alpha is exciting enough that I thought a thread to address exploration of it's API and usage in moodle would be appropriate.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marc Grober

Re: Wolfram|Alpha API and integration

by Mauno Korpelainen -

It is exciting indeed - we should just find a simple way to use developer API of WA to produce those equations and graphs without all extra stuff around them in pages - like http://www4f.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP41419612icgb71eea9e000040f2377b25ifc76i?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=58

Example

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Marc Grober -
I applied for api id so I'd get notice when the api is available and get access to all the goodies-we shall see what comes of it and what the final licensing looks like.

The image links don't work by the way-thrashed through that when creating the page ok your test site, and there are no output or other options from the current demo (or at least I have yet to find a key that works- LOL) but all that will be fixed when api can be directly invoked.

I noted that my little circle demo was produced with a grid, while simultaneous inequalities only had axes, and I have yet to figure out out to control that-trial and error from examples until they make api and docs available.....

But it is an incredible tool, which will I think they will leverage as a net hub looking at becoming like a google math and will set them back big coin, so the longterm question is how they will pitch access and whether they will break out engine from db behind it and make the engine freely available

In reply to Marc Grober

WA demo mode not supporting 'and' with plot

by Marc Grober -
I just noticed today as I tested WA under FF 3.5 that WA no longer supports "and" as a conjunction with plot in demo mode, though && is still working so simultaneous inequalities can still be graphed....

No word yet on the API .....
In reply to Marc Grober

Re: WA demo mode not supporting 'and' with plot

by Christopher Sangwin -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Alex and I talked about using DragMath as an input tool for Wolfram Alpha. But given the following on the Wolfram Alpha website terms of use we decided againt it!

It is not permitted to use Wolfram|Alpha indirectly through another website that has created a large number of deep links to Wolfram|Alpha, or that automatically constructs links based on input that you give on that site, rather than on Wolfram|Alpha. You may not in effect use Wolfram|Alpha through an alternate user interface presented by another website.

Finally, it's also not permitted to use frames or other browser technologies to embed or surround the Wolfram|Alpha website with your own material without permission from Wolfram|Alpha. If you are interested in using Wolfram|Alpha in an embedded way, please contact us.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/termsofuse.html

I'm no legal expert, but we might not be able to interface in the ways we would really like.

This won't solve all out maths problems but a combination of the following should be a very good start.

Chris

In reply to Christopher Sangwin

Re: WA demo mode not supporting 'and' with plot

by Furio Petrossi -
"links based on input that you give on that site, rather than on Wolfram|Alph"

and if a link has a single link that open WA as new window (as attached file)?

Are terms of use OK?

Furio Petrossi
In reply to Marc Grober

by Russell Smith -
Hi all,

Russ from WolframAlpha... just wanted to give you all an update that the API is almost ready. It's looking like late August, early September.

Really good ideas I see on this thread. Happy to discuss them and terms of use and anything else on your mind.

Also I should note we are looking to the community to construct platform and language bindings.

Thanks!

Russ
Developer Relations

In reply to Russell Smith

by Marc Grober -
Great to hear from you....
A number of us have applied for API IDs but there was some concerns raised about terms of use (embedding, etc) which really need to be addressed.
In reply to Russell Smith

by Marc Grober -
Hey Russ,

it's been two months without a peep since you said the API was "almost done". In the meantime folks here seem concerned about implications of license boilerplate.

Can you give us an update as far as what will be rolled when, as well as an explanation of changes that gave been made to the demo mode?

Ohhhhh...... I guess it is unlikely Russ will be responding as he no longer has a current profile in this course, lol