Course Sharing

Course Sharing

by Chris Malmgren -
Number of replies: 5

We are working to implement project based learning for 6th grade students next Fall.

I created a course template for our teachers but I'm worried that they will feel overwhelmed with the task of converting our curriculum into Moodle projects.

Does a resourse exist where teachers can export and share courses? If not, is anyone interested in working with me to create one? approve

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Malmgren

Re: Course Sharing

by E. L. Cooper -
I am not sure I understand the question.
In reply to E. L. Cooper

by Chris Malmgren -

I want to know if a Moodle resource exists similar to the Webquest portal at San Diego State university where teachers can share projects.

http://webquest.org/index.php

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
On this site there is the exchange here
There are also other Moodles with free courses you can download for your Moodle and upload to share with others - I can't think off hand but I'm sure someone will come along soon to suggest some.

by Paula Clough -

Moodle has pointed the way to the Moodle Exchange.  There the backups for courses, quizzes, glossaries, scorm resources and other things can be shared.  Some of my courses are there if you want to take a look. You are free to use them if you would like. There is also a forum where people have begun posting websites that have Moodle based classes to share. I hope some of your teachers will want to share.

In my district Moodle site, I have a category for "Demos and templates"  where we have posted some thematic units built in Moodle.  Teachers can look these over and see how they are organized. They can use them just to get ideas or request a course copy. I can use a course backup to make a "copy" (using restore feature) of the entire course for them that they can then modify to their own use.  The other option is to "import" the resources, assignments, etc. from the original course into their course. Everything comes into the topic area they were located in in the original course and may need to be rearranged.   

This is one of the advantages of Moodle that are often overlooked.  It is one of the most powerful advantage because teachers don't all have to make up the courses from scratch but can still have the freedom to make it their own and change over time.

One example (which you may want to use with your teachers) is a Biome project I created as a sample.  I had the students using a Wiki to gather information to share in their groups and doing a PowerPoint at the end of the unit.  A high school teacher used my class but decided to use a database for the students to post their infomation to share and have them do a digital movie at the end of the unit.  She hid the options she didn't use when she created her own... that way she can go back to them another year if she wishes.

Paula Clough cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by Paula Clough -

Was thinking this morning about some organization for when our teachers begin sharing more units/courses and for the demos.... wanted to share that with you...

I am thinking about building an overview course that would have links to the demos/templates, units/course.  I could use a series of databases in the course. Databases could be by grade level groups or subject areas.  The database entries could have a description, perhaps even a picture of the course page or an activity in the course if there is one that is eye catching and a direct link to the course.  Information would be provided in the course about who to contact and what information would be needed when a teachers wants to have the course or resources in their own course. At the present on my site, I leave the demos open to guests, so anyone can see them, but if I needed to, I could create meta and child course configuration between the courses to restrict to teachers only.

Still thinking it through, but thought you might want to see some of the possiblities.

Paula Clough cool

Average of ratings: Very cool (1)