Site Admin 'Frontpage option Missing in Moodle 1.9.4+

Site Admin 'Frontpage option Missing in Moodle 1.9.4+

by K.James Mathai -
Number of replies: 10

In the process of upgrading moodle from 1.8 to 1.9.4+  the 'Frontpage' Admin option went missing due to which 'Turn Editing Option' does not dispay edit options in number of resources. It is also probiting to have access to some of it and display message- 'Sorry, but you do not currently have permissions to do that (Update course settings)

More information about this error' .  I again upgraded 1.9.4+ to 1.9.5+ thinking that the option 'frontpage' will get activated but it has not.

Can anybody help me :

1.How frontpage option in admin panel can again get activated.

2. How edit options which is not giving permission now in some of resources start allowing me to do edit again.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to K.James Mathai

Re: Site Admin 'Frontpage option Missing in Moodle 1.9.4+

by K.James Mathai -

I do not have even access to 'Add an Activity' and 'Add an resources' options on frontpage.

Can any expert help me to get 'frontpage' under admin activated. Even though I am loging in as admin but still it displays "

Sorry, but you do not currently have permissions to do that (Update course settings)

More information about this error

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi,

Please see the discussion Lost the “Turn editing on” button on the front page for a possible solution and let us know how you get on.
In reply to Helen Foster

by K.James Mathai -

I had a greate experience of all since last more than 3 yrs I am working with Moodle. I was very disheartened for some time because of this problem. I persued your  suggestion, but could't succeded. My 'admin' was not even displaying 'Frontpage' Option.

Then, I started setting legal default permission from 'authenticated user' to 'Admin' in reverse order. I did so because I found even student & authenticated user when logged in to site had some of the editing options to some of the frontpage resources. I presumed the previlages are messed up with users.

All I want to say is that my problem has been solved. I have now 'frontpage' under 'Admin' and other previlages under 'frontpage'.

thanks for your valuable support.

(Dr.K.J.Mathai)

by Mike Turpin -

Hi,

I have the same problem. when I log in I can no longer see anything on the front page apart from course categories. I cannot access my admin block at all to check/change roles and I do not have the option of turning editing on anywhere.

Be very grateful if someoe couldf give me na alternativeway of finding the admin area.

Thanks

Site Admin block on the Frontpage Missing in Moodle 2.7

by Nobuyuki Fujioka -

Hi, 

Administration blocks disappeared from almost all pages of my site.

This happened when I changed the setting of the Admin block.  I think I changed the visibility of the block to quiz report only or something.  Then, all the admin disappeared.  I cannot find any option to bring them back.  How can I make the admin block appear again in the front page so that I can make it visible in course pages (as well as the front page)?

I read the forum but it did not help as I cannot find a solution anywhere.

Your help is highly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Noby

In reply to Nobuyuki Fujioka

Re: Site Admin block on the Frontpage Missing in Moodle 2.7

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Please try #13 in Blocks FAQ Help - I accidentally hid the administration block without realising the consequences.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Nobuyuki Fujioka -

Hi, Mary and all

I already tried that, but eye icon is not closed.

I believe that there is an inherent design issue in the moodle.

This happened to me previously and I had to upgrade the whole thing to fix this issue. (now 2.7).

I cannot upgrade or re-install Moodle every time when this happens.

This bug (UI design problem) happens when a admin person selects to hide the admin block from the course page,etc. (with certain selection of pages to hide).  Once the admin block is hidden from the front page, there is no way to bring back the admin block to the front page....

Please kindly provide me with a fix.

Best regards,

Noby

In reply to Nobuyuki Fujioka

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Which theme are you using? Could you please post the exact steps you have tried following the instructions in both #13 I  accidentally hit the administration block and also - another one to try: #14 I accidentally deleted the administration block

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Nobuyuki Fujioka -

Hi, Mary!

Thank you very much!  Now the issue is solved!

#13 did not work because the eye was already open.

#14 worked.  Basically I did not see "administration" in the Add A Block list previously.  It took a long time to realise but now I understand that unlocking the padlock icon for the administration block in the "Manage Block" page brings back "administration" in the Add A Block list.  As soon as I lock the padlock, it disappears, so I have to keep the lock open while I add the administration blocks to pages.

With regard to the front page, I was still not able to add the administration block back because there was no way to turn editing on and so was not able to use the "Add A Block".

So, I did the following

1. Keep the padlock unlocked for the administration block in the Manage Block page.

2. Go to a course page and turn editing on.

3. in the url box in my web browser, I typed in the front page address.

4. Now I was back in the front page with the editing mode on. So, I found the Add A Block.

5. Add "Administration" block using the Add A Block in the front page.

The issue is solved, but, I still think that moodle should make this much easier.  First of all, the administration block should not be deleted so easily from the front page.  If it is deleted, there should be much easier way to bring it back.  Moodle is rather a complicated system to get around for non-technical teachers and users..it is my opinion at least.

Anyway, thank you very much for your help.

Kind regards,

Noby

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Fanny Passeport -

Hi,

the Admin block of my front page does not extend since I added a twitter feeds on an HTML block under it. Is there any other thing I could do like revert to the way it was a few hours ago?

These steps are really complicated for me: https://docs.moodle.org/27/en/Blocks_FAQ#Help.2C_I_accidentally_hid_the_administration_block_without_realising_the_consequences.21

Thanks

Fanny