can anyone recommend a moodle themer?

Re: can anyone recommend a moodle themer?

by Thomas Hanley -
Number of replies: 0

I really agree with Patrick on this (well put, nice analogy!). A key point depends on what you think a theme could or should be capable of affecting.

The way I see Moodle is there are 3 critical parts

Content
Usability / user experience (most critically navigation)
Appearance (although emotional engagement is part of this, and I feel an important part as you want to engage users with high quality visual design, appearance also overlaps with usability as things like layout, visual weighting, typography etc have a big impact).

I have found using themes frustrating because they feel hard to use / restrictive. Changing colours is nice (but pretty low on my list of priorities as it has less signifcant impact on user experience than othere aspects of Moodle). I would rather have more control of

a) the layout
b) the modules themselves

For example with the course menu so far I have been unable to make the order of the courses non-alphabetical for users (although logging in as admin the order is the same as set through the admin area!). So I cannot solve this through themes.

Hopefully Tim's work will result in a more coherent and usable navigation mechanism.

So for me while I place navigation as a higher priority than themes I still think that themes can mean more than just changing colours.

~thomas