What's the best approach to get get familiar with course formats?

What's the best approach to get get familiar with course formats?

by José Cedeño -
Number of replies: 3
Hi,

I will be working this summer on a new course format. What advice would you give a newbie so that he/she can get to know the course format code or interface better? Are there some documentation pages or areas related to course formats that you think could use more documentation or need cleaning up? I have been playing around with various course formats, and the source code is pretty easy to read. I have also read some of the wiki pages relating to course formats. What are your suggestions?

Thanks,
Jose
Average of ratings: -
In reply to José Cedeño

Re: What's the best approach to get get familiar with course formats?

by Chad Outten -
Hi Jose! i suggest you check out the code in existing course formats for the latest stable moodle.

the various course formats are located in the moodle/course/format directory. the readme.txt contains some useful info to get started with your own course format.

good luck,
Chad
In reply to José Cedeño

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Jose,

Further to Chad's good advice, I would suggest you add what you've learnt from playing around to our Course formats documentation. For example, you could explain how to add/delete course sections, how to show/hide course sections, what you can do if you're using the weekly format and you have a 2-week holiday etc.

You'll no doubt find that adding information to Moodle Docs is a great way of improving your own understanding. wink
In reply to Helen Foster

by José Cedeño -
Thanks Chad and Helen for the information.
@Chad, I read the readme and format.php files of various course formats. It was very insightful and I learned a lot from them.

@Helen: great suggestion. I'll make sure to add information to the wiki pages of the course formats that I tried out. How do you keep up with all the forum posts? I can't believe these replies slipped. Maybe I'll look in my settings to see if I can do something.