Mirroring Moodle installations ...

Mirroring Moodle installations ...

by Riaan Bredenkamp -
Number of replies: 2
The problem: In South Africa bandwidth and Internet connectivity is not as available as in other countries. Making it dificult to deliver our courses to the people who needs them.

Our Solution: Create "hotspot" computer labs in different schools and have a mirror of our moodle server installed locally at the school, and serve moodle over the LAN.

This is fine and dandy for delivering the content, but not when you want too create a single community of students who are able to assit each other via forums/workshops etc. even though they are using different hotspot's.

I have tried to use the backup/restore features to amalgamate different instances of the courses into our main Moodle server (one that serves the content to the Internet) but end up with duplicated instances of the activities and resources in the courses, instead of adding (for instance) adding forum posts by students from "hotspot A" to the same forum in the main server (without duplicating the forum)

(I hope this explanation is clear mixed )

My Question:Is there a way to create backups of these offsite moodle servers and incorporate those into the main server at regular intervals?

Basically we do not want to backup the resources or activities but rather the student's use of those resources and activities and then restore those into the main server.

This would allow Moodle to be used in a offline manner and still allow the community of students to work together.

Riaan
(whish I was a php guru ... then I would have been able to offer more solutions than problems ... seems like I just ask for more and more things without contributing back sad )
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Riaan Bredenkamp

Re: Mirroring Moodle installations ...

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Synchronising separate Moodles would be very very hard.

Everything in Moodle is numbered. So say, for example, you have two identical sites, and someone posts a new message to the same forum. The new number for the post on both servers is 36364 (say).

Now, when merging the two sites, what do we do with these posts with this same number? We need to renumber one ... which means we need to renumber everything that refers to it, and the links in the email versions will be wrong and so on. There will also be all the previous posts which are the same and do not need to be renumbered, so we need to take that into account too. You can see it becomes a nightmare, and that's just forum posts.

For resources and things I think it would be better to look at good local generic caching software (eg a Squid proxy).
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Mirroring Moodle installations ...

by Riaan Bredenkamp -
Slowly came to the same realisation, thanks for the reply though Martin.

Riaan