need for a new module

need for a new module

by Jaime Alamo -
Number of replies: 4
I need a new feature to be operative in the courses that I'm preparing.  These moodle courses are thought to help teaching in several Experimental Laboratory Courses in my University.  These require the physical presence of students and they get a lot of personal results to work with.

The purpose of the new module, that I'm thinking of, is to crop original data created or gathered by the students and store them to create report tables. These tables will be used for preliminary grading and to create a new task .

These data may be experimental results from the work in the Lab, or original thoughts, or ideas, or suggestions.  Data may be numerical or short answer (text),  but in most cases they will be open.  (For the case of more complex data I could use the off-line task to get a file or a set packed in a zip file)

Sometimes, there should be a mathematical relationship between some data and, if so, this moodle module will have to check it and add points to the grade if it is fulfilled.

For instant, below there is an example of a page used to crop some of the data.  There is a mathematical relation between some columns and also the multiple choice answers must be a logical conclusion from data in prior columns.

I've used the quiz editor and the Cloze quiz syntaxis to prepare the crop page.  In other words, I would say I want to extend the quiz module to crop open answers.  But, I think it will be different enough to be a module apart. Each answer, for instant: 42.6,  may not get a feedback nor a grade by itself. Some relationships between answers should be checked for grading and also allow additional manual grading when the crop (whole table) is built.  This crop page would be similar to the review of an attempt for the quiz module but allowing the inclusion of data from all students or a selection of them.

=======================================
Philosophy

Data used in quizzes are preestablished and more or less strange to students.  Data used for the crop (and the following tasks) will have been elaborated in the Lab (or in the real live) by themselves.  They will work, manipulate and understand their own data.  The constructivism is served.

Attachment Cloze_report_of_experimental_data.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jaime Alamo

Re: need for a new module

by Jaime Alamo -
To start, I've been trying to modify the quiz module, as I've prepared the form using the Cloze syntax. It would be the "crop module".

But I get lost in the way to the database and then coming back to elaborate a table report for the crop.

I can find the stored data in the database, but it's indexed by attempts and it´s difficult to me to organize the files and steps that I have to write.

I need every help you could give me.

Thank you very much.
In reply to Jaime Alamo

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Jaime, do you think the planned Data Module might be nearly suitable for your needs?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Jaime Alamo -
I never had heard of it.
I've just read your post in the glossary forum and I agree with it completely in the first step. 
Then, we'll need a set of tools for grading based well in contents, or in accomplishment of some relationships between some fields or at least manually.

Thanks Martin.  How can I participate in the project? 
In reply to Jaime Alamo

by W Page -
Hi Jamie!

I am visiting this thread because of a post you made in Teemu's thread about the Data Module.
Form module (perhaps part of the data module)
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=14611

Where you able to code this yourself.  I am not clear about this from your post.  Have you been able to find this functionality in another Virtual Learning Environment [VLE]?

It looks really nice.  Are the reports generated in a certain format.

WP1