Importing Hotpot Questions into Moodle: problem with images

Importing Hotpot Questions into Moodle: problem with images

by Martyn Wheeler -
Number of replies: 12
Hi there,

Just a quick question. I have a number of hotpot quizzes made up that i would like to import into the moodle quiz format. However, when I do this the path to the image gets messed up. For instance the image url in the imported file becomes

whereas the image file is in

(ie a folder called quiz in my course file folder)

I realise I could just change the url by hand but it seems a bit tedious. Anyone got any ideas please.

Thanks in advance,

Martyn
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martyn Wheeler

Re: Importing Hotpot Questions into Moodle: problem with images

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
How are you uploading these quizzes with images? When you insert the image into your hotpotato quiz from your local drive as you are making the quiz it should put it into a folder which will include all images and the quiz that will be zipped up to Moodle and then unzipped ready to display. That way the paths should be right - is this how you are doing it?
EDIT sorry - just re-read your post - are you saying you want to turn your hotpotato quizzes into Moodle quizzes? - I think I might have misread the first time
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Martyn Wheeler -
Yes I want to write the quizzes offline in hotpotatoes and then import the questions into a moodle quiz rather than a hotpotatoes quiz.

Thanks
martyn

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Martyn "I want to write the quizzes offline in hotpotatoes and then import the questions into a moodle quiz rather than a hotpotatoes quiz".

Any reason for taking this rather convoluted way of doing things rather than writing your quizzes in the Moodle question bank straight away?mixed

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Martyn Wheeler -
I would like to be able to write quizzes offline as it is less clunky.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I know what you mean Martyn but it's actually one step extra though isn't it? It's like what I tell the teachers I train who make their worksheets in Word and then upload them to Moodle - it's actually quicker in the long term to make them directly on Moodle - so it is with a quiz. Particularly if you want images including. (That's not to dismiss HotPotatoes, which I love)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Barbara Peskin -
What is the easiest way to make quizzes that incorporate graphics.. I don't mind the moodle quiz building tool, but what I really want to do is be able to write a question and then copy and paste a related screen shot. Even hot potatoes doesn't let me do that.

I find it hard to have to navigate the importing of an image to a question .. it is clunky.

Does anyone either:

a. know of a program that lets me build quizzes with screenshots and then an export where my screenshots are converted to images (almost like some web page visual editor exports) or

b. a place where there are existing premade quizzes I can import into moodle and then tweak.. or existing hot potatoes quizzes I can tweak and export.

Thanks!

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Martyn,
looking at the scripts in the "question/format/hotpot" folder, it seems that if the HP file is in the "quiz" folder when you import it, and you import it using "Import from file already in course files" then the relative urls should be successfully converted to absolute urls that point to files within the "quiz" folder.

If it doesn't work like that for you, please could you upload the HP file and the image file to my server so I can see for myself exactly what is happening.
thanks
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Martyn Wheeler -
I have uploaded one question to your server and it does the same. If I try and add a hot potatoes quiz the image works fine. However, if I import the hot potatoes questions into a quiz then the images get lost. The import causes the question to look for the image in the root folder of the course rather that the quiz folder that the hotpot quiz is located...

Martyn

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Thanks Martyn, I will have a look and do my level best to fix it !

by Gordon Bateson -
Martyn,
I have found a fix for this.

I am confirming that it works on other Moodles too, and I will commit the modified scripts to the Moodle CVS within a day or too.

cheers
Gordon

by Martyn Wheeler -
Thanks

Martyn

by Gordon Bateson -
Martyn,
I created a issue on the Moodle Tracker for this: MDL-18883

Then I fixed it in Moodle 1.6 -> 1.9, and the HEAD trunk of Moodle CVS which will one day become Moodle 2.0

Please update your Moodle site when you can.

cheers
Gordon