Monitoring downloads

Monitoring downloads

by Riaan Bredenkamp -
Number of replies: 7
Has anybody implemented a way of monitoring which students have downloaded which resources (I am mainly talking about pdf or similar files)?

TIA
Riaan
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Riaan Bredenkamp

Re: Monitoring downloads

by Gustav W Delius -
You can find this information in the logs. If you click on "Logs" in the administration block on the course home page you can select logs by resource and/or by user.
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Riaan Bredenkamp -
Thanks Gustav - but not quite what I meant smile

I should have been more clear in my original post. We have a number of manuals that we are making available through our courses and we want to monitor who is downloading these and how many downloads have taken place. (just to use as bragging rights, nothing sinister or big brother-ish smile )

At the moment we can see who has looked at the resource page from where the manuals can be downloaded from --- but we cannot determine whether or not the file(s) were actually downloaded.

Hope that is clearer. blush

by W Page -
Hello Riaan,

Do you mean a DownLoad Manager?

A DL Manager would help to keep track of how many downloads of a script are taking place.  Also, I believe some also keep track of who is downloading what files.

That would be an interesting feature in the released version of Moodle.  I see Martin has instituted something like this on the Module and AddOn page for different versions of Moodle.

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Riaan Bredenkamp -
Yep! Big-Brother is watching smile Only joking though I am sure Martin is not going to use these download statistics to blackmail us.

We want to take it one step futher though- we want to see who has downloaded what. Pinky-in-mouth-evil-sneer

Riaan

by Gustav W Delius -
You could simply post each of those manuals as an individual resources. Access to all resources is logged.
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Riaan Bredenkamp -
Did that for a while but there was some negatives associated with the solution (in our enviroment)

1 manual X 2 formats X 2 archive formats X 18 courses = a lot of links

A lot of links on different pages = difficult to keep updated and not too pleasing on the eyes.

Its that form over function argument again ... smile

I'll see if I can come up with something... Else will revert back to the many links option (or change our minds about tracking downloads of the manual)

Riaan