Highly customizable GUI for quiz for a customer

Highly customizable GUI for quiz for a customer

by fawad moon -
Number of replies: 11
Our customer wants to develop a highly customized GUI for Quiz authoring in Moodle and sell it as a commercial product to educational institutions. What is the best way to go about doing it?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to fawad moon

Re: Highly customizable GUI for quiz for a customer

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Read the GNU General Public License carefully, then tell your customer that what they are proposing is illegal?

(I always like to be helpful wink)
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ryan Chadwick -
Is there any business model by which this could work?

I would be interested in building modules and plugins but have to be able to make money off it for it to be viable for me. Looking at the license it seems ok for me to do the following:

Offer a consulting service for $100 (service includes troubleshooting, training etc)
As a client you get the module for free

My clients obviously would be free to pass on the module to whomever they liked but the license doesn't state that if I make a module I must give it to anyone that asks for it (just that I can't charge for it directly). So I would say that I'm not charging for it but I am only giving it to existing clients of mine.

Would these assumptions be correct?
In reply to Ryan Chadwick

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Well, you must either
  • distribute your module with a GPL licence, or
  • be able to prove that your code does not copy any part of Moodle core code, nor the NEWMODULE template etc.
I think that that second option is essentially impossible. As you point out, you can choose to only distribute to your customer, though what they then do with the code is up to them, providing they follow the GPL.

So, how can you make money while writing Moodle code (and plenty of people do). This is, of course, just the generic 'How do I make money while writing Open Source code' which is quite well documented on the Web. But, in summary
  • You can find someone to pay you to develop the module in the first place. That is, do contract development.
  • You can offer an ongoing support, training, etc. service.
  • You can offer to further custom development services to add new features.
  • If you really insist, you could write a Moodle module (that you must open-source) that allows Moodle to link to a separate proprietary system, like the Elluminate module for Moodle, and try to make all your money from the other system.
Finally, I should note that that while anyone is welcome to offer commercial Moodle services, there are trade-mark restrictions on using the Moodle name or logo to advertise such services. Please see the License.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ryan Chadwick -
Thank you for your prompt reply.

First off, yes, I would distribute my modules with a GPL licence.

I've just read the license and I'm not quite sure on the advertising bit.

If I've got a website for the modules I make and Moodle isn't mentioned anywhere except in the requirements section, something along the lines of:

"This module works on Moodle 1.9 or above"

Do I need permission for this?

(I plan to ask for permission anyway but was just interested.)
In reply to Ryan Chadwick

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
No, absolutely no problem with that. Nor with any Moodle-compatible addons you wish to produce and even sell.

The trademark mostly applies to generic Moodle services.

So if you had a site called "Moodle development 4 U" and you offered 'Moodle customisation services' on it to anyone who came along, then it would require checking with moodle.com/helpdesk.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Ryan Chadwick -
Cheers Martin.

Thanks for clarifying that.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Iñaki Arenaza -

Well, you must either

* distribute your module with a GPL licence, or
* be able to prove that your code does not copy any part of Moodle core code, nor the NEWMODULE template etc.

Given that Moodle is licensed as GPLv2 (or later option), there's a third alternative. GPLv2 doesn't restrict use (it's even explicitly stated), but copying and distribution. So as long as you don't distribute your modified Moodle, you don't need to provide the source code for your modifications at all.

This means you can use it in-house or let others use it, i.e., provide it as a service (hosted solutions, cloud computing anyone?) without you needing to open source your modifications/enhancements.

"Fixing" this "loophole" (among others) is what Affero GPLv2 (and later) and GPLv3 are about.

Saludos. Iñaki.

In reply to Iñaki Arenaza

by Hubert Chathi -
"Fixing" this "loophole" (among others) is what Affero GPLv2 (and later) and GPLv3 are about.
nitpick: The "ASP loophole" is what the Affero GPLv1 and GNU Affero GPLv3 are about. There is no Affero GPLv2, and GPLv3 doesn't try to deal with this loophole.
In reply to fawad moon

by Michael Penney -
Respondus does this by writing out the quiz questions in IMS QTI, and then giving the Moodle quiz import plug-in away free. Hotpotatoes does something similar by making the interface between Moodle the Hotpot module GPL, while the Hotpotatoes tool itself is not GPL.

Many other companies do something similar.

I also hear frequently that a particular company's product can't or won't interface with Moodle because the GPL would force it to surrender it's IP - this impression can make it harder for Moodle to spread in environments where closed source code is the norm. So it is certainly doable, and in fact by the same sort of product to product interface (often standards based XML or webservices) that closed source products interact with each other.

In reply to Michael Penney

by Chris Potter -
We were told this by a particular publisher recently. It was quite frustrating. Is there any way that would satisfy them so we can use their question banks in our system?
In reply to Michael Penney

by Ryan Chadwick -
So does this mean I need a completely separate product?

Or could I write a module that requires a set of libraries. The module is free but you have to buy the libraries?

I would like the product to integrate as much as possible to be as user friendly as possible.