Resources and Sections Question

Resources and Sections Question

by M. Commini -
Number of replies: 3
Ok, so I was investigating if there is a way to create a resource without its being shown on the Main Menu or in the Front Page topic section and without having to create an individual course and I have a some questions I don't know the answer to and haven't found here on the forums. I'm hoping this is the right area to post these questions.

To add a resource, you choose 'Add a Resource' from the Main Menu (or from within the topic section or a course). Anyway, choosing 'Add a Resource' (let's say, web page) takes you to a link such as http://www.yourdomainname.edu/moodle/course/modedit.php?add=resource&type=html&course=1&section=0&return=0.

I've pretty much determined that section=0&return=0 represents the Main Menu, am I correct about this? I seem to be because if I change the section=0 to section=2, with all else remaining the same, I can create my new resource, save it and display it. When I return to my front page, the resource DOES NOT SHOW UP in the Main Menu. In other words, it does what I want it to do: it creates an unseen resource which I can still link to without having to be logged in. It's probably visible somewhere but where? I can link directly to it without having to be logged in but I don't see it on the front page.

Can anyone tell me what the different sections are? Section 0 seems to be, as previously stated, the Main Menu. Section 1 seems to be the center topic area on the front page. Are the sections defined somewhere? Is it possible to create a "hidden but available" section?

Your help is appreciated.

Michael
Average of ratings: -
In reply to M. Commini

Re: Resources and Sections Question

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi there. I put this in the Moodle docs
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Course_homepage#Make_your_course_home_page_look_more_like_a_regular_webpage which might be of use to you and I made this video too

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Tammy Maginity -
Thank you so much for this info. I was looking for a way to do this and your process works perfectly! You rock!
In reply to Tammy Maginity

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Oh thanks smile Nobody ever told me I rocked before!