The moodle.org ratings scale. Time for a review?

The moodle.org ratings scale. Time for a review?

by John White -
Number of replies: 10
Hi all,

I decided not to tack this on the end of the original discussion, but rather to ask anew...
Have we thrown the baby out with the bathwater?

Do we think that 'Useful' is really sufficient?

Would not 'Useful' and 'Very Useful' be just a little less BLAND?

And would it not better reflect the fact that in an n stars system, if we bother to rate at all, we give the post n stars or n-1 stars (and almost anything else is 'damming with feint praise').

And if this were the case would the maths be simple too i.e 1x VU == 2x U.

Or am I just inciting the masses to revolution!

Regards to all,

John
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to John White

Re: The moodle.org ratings scale. Time for a review?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I am quite satisfied with the "Useful vs. nothing" present rate system. If people deem the post useful, then they can rate it ("useful). If they don't find it useful, if they don't care, or else... they just don't rate it. That's all we need. I don't want to be bothered with a 5 star system.
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by John White -
Joseph,

No way on earth am I advocating a return to five stars, as I said most only ever used the top two.

Regards,

John
In reply to John White

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Of course, I understood that.approve
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi everybody,

How do I create a scale like the one used on these forums with just possibility: useful?
It seems to me I used to be able to do this but now I'm obliged to put two items and if I put only one, the number 2 appears: see below.

Cheers,
Glenys
Attachment screenshot_10.png
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Ooh... I was sure I'd seen this exact same issue discussed here on the forums - so I did a search but it turned out it was me with the same problem... Hopefully this time we can jointly elicit a responsesmile
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Well, this is what I've in one of my sites:

Index: edit_form.php
===================================================================
RCS file: /cvsroot/moodle/moodle/grade/edit/scale/edit_form.php,v
retrieving revision 1.10.2.5
diff -r1.10.2.5 edit_form.php
141,144c141,144
< $options = explode(',', $data['scale']);
< if (count($options) < 2) {
< $errors['scale'] = get_string('badlyformattedscale', 'grades');
< }
---
> //$options = explode(',', $data['scale']);
> //if (count($options) < 2) {
> // $errors['scale'] = get_string('badlyformattedscale', 'grades');
> //}

and seems to work. Though I'd change that validation code to something else, like looking for invalid values - empty strings and others - instead of the "radical comment it out" solution above.

Ciao smile

PS: Alternatively, you can modify the scale straight in the DB, but I find it less "useful/usable".
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Eloy,

I'm afraid I'm not as smart as Mary - I don't know where to find edit_form.php on my online course or how exactly to add your code. I found it on my local Moodle, slapped it in but I obviously didn't do it right.

Do I have access to it as admin or is it something I should ask my host to do?

Sorry some language teachers are clever than others. shy

Cheers,
Glenys

In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Glenys,

sorry, I wasn't really clear above. As far as it involves modifying code, I'd suggest moodlers not to do so, unless they know what they are doing and, more important, how to revert the change in case anything becomes "broken".

Of course, it's one change that requires access to the host and editing the file there (nothing that you can do logged in Moodle as admin or so).

It's not a matter of being more or less clever (I'm sure you are far more clever than me) but to have the required programming skills to perform the change.

So, once more, I'd recommend to avoid the change if you don't know enough about php / updates and so on. The patch above is only a quick solution I wanted to share (hoping it would be useful for some people). It is untested and can cause problems (update conflicts) once the feature becomes "officially" implemented.

Instead, I'd suggest everybody to vote in the Tracker to MDL-16474, that is the bug that should address the 1-item scales request once and forever.

Hope it helps, ciao smile
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Well I've voted Glenys- what about you?smile

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Eloy,

I feel I understand perfectly now and already feel much cleverer. wink
I won't make any changes or ask my host to do so.

I've been to vote in the Tracker for MDL-16474, but see very few of us have. I'm amazed! It's so obviously the right thing for adult education situations and we have the example righ here on Moodle.org.

I have a workaround. I've put a smiley as the second item which seems to me to be as positive and non-judgemental as "useful". I haven't tried it out with live participants yet. I'll let you know if it works.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
Glenys