Thank you for your reply. I was using the certificate version appropriate for my version of Moodle.
I did get this issue worked out. There was a problem with the upgrade process where it was not creating the "customtext" column. When I manually created the "customtext" column, the problem did not go away, it changed to something else. Here's how I fixed the problem:
- Create a development site
- Copy the certificate folder into the mod folder
- Rename the "mdl_certificate" and "mdl_certificate_issues" to something else
- Delete the "certificate" row out of the mdl_modules table
- Delete the certificate-specific rows out of the mdl_log_display table
- Install the new certificate module by visiting /admin
- Copy all the data from the old mdl_certificate and mdl_certificate_issues tables into the new, empty tables
- The install process deleted all the instances of the old certificate module from my courses, so at this point I copied the new tables from my dev site to my live site
- Copy the certificate folder into the mod folder on the live site
- Edit the mdl_modules table and set the certificate version to the new one in the mod/certificate folder
- Visit /admin to make sure no upgrade takes place
Basically, I bypassed the upgrade process. Now all my problems are fixed.