Not able to create custom theme

Not able to create custom theme

by Greg Thomas -
Number of replies: 5
hi
have installed Moodle 1.9.4 on Ubuntu 8.10 and am trying to design a custom theme. I have http://docs.moodle.org/en/Creating_a_custom_theme and Julian's Youtube videos as a guide since am new to coding.
I copied the Standard Theme into another folder, renamed it and imported it within Moodle. Modified config.php file and styles_color.css. When I change the page background color and the regular link color, it doesnt reflect on the site. Any reason why this could be happening. I havent reached the advanced theming stage yet.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Greg Thomas

Re: Not able to create custom theme

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Can you see your new theme in Theme selector and did you change your theme from

Administration > Appearance > Themes > Theme selector ?

Sometimes when you upload new css files to your site you may also need to refresh page/browser or clear cache...

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Greg Thomas -
yes, have selected my theme from same location. Even restarted my PC to make sure it isn't cache problem
Here's my config.php file lying in mynewtheme folder edited as per instructions

$THEME->sheets = array('user_styles');
$THEME->standardsheets = array('styles_layout');
$THEME->parent = 'custom_corners'; //mynewtheme
$THEME->parentsheets = array('user_styles');
$THEME->modsheets = true;
$THEME->blocksheets = true;
$THEME->langsheets = false;
$THEME->courseformatsheets = true;
$THEME->metainclude = false;
$THEME->standardmetainclude = true;
$THEME->parentmetainclude = false;
$THEME->navmenuwidth = 50;
$THEME->makenavmenulist = false;
$THEME->resource_mp3player_colors =
'bgColour=000000&btnColour=ffffff&btnBorderColour=cccccc&iconColour=000000&'.
'iconOverColour=00cc00&trackColour=cccccc&handleColour=ffffff&loaderColour=ffffff&'.
'font=Arial&fontColour=3333FF&buffer=10&waitForPlay=no&autoPlay=yes';
$THEME->filter_mediaplugin_colors =
'bgColour=000000&btnColour=ffffff&btnBorderColour=cccccc&iconColour=000000&'.
'iconOverColour=00cc00&trackColour=cccccc&handleColour=ffffff&loaderColour=ffffff&'.
'waitForPlay=yes';
$THEME->custompix = false;

In reply to Greg Thomas

by Mauno Korpelainen -

OK -this explains your case - you modified file styles_color.css but your theme config.php has

meaning that user_styles.css should contain your changes or you should add styles_color.css to that array.

Or you could edit parent theme custom_corners user_styles.css or standard theme styles_layout.css - other css files have no influence. The last tags in your custom theme user_styles.css override previous ones in parent theme and standard theme

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Greg Thomas -
I was only following the instructions written in http://docs.moodle.org/en/Creating_a_custom_theme. It says

Use code like this this in /theme/yourtheme/config.php

$THEME->standardsheets = array('styles_layout');
$THEME->parent = 'custom_corners'; // put the name of the theme folder you want to use as parent here. 
$THEME->parentsheets = array('user_styles');
Should I reverse the changes made to the config.php in my newtheme folder which is a copy of Standard Theme folder. The config.php earlier contained the following
$THEME->sheets = array('styles_layout', 'styles_fonts', 'styles_color');
$THEME->standardsheets = true;
$THEME->parent = '';
$THEME->parentsheets = false;

In reply to Greg Thomas

by Mauno Korpelainen -

It depends on the files you want to use. If your theme folder has styles_layout.css and it has different css tags than standard theme styles_layout.css you need to have in your custom theme config.php at least

$THEME->sheets = array('styles_layout');

and if you want to change all those css files you can as well use

$THEME->sheets = array('styles_layout', 'styles_fonts', 'styles_color');

But then you don't need to load the same css twice and can as well set $THEME->standardsheets = false;.

Usually people leave $THEME->standardsheets = true; and add only those tags they want to change to custom theme css file(s) that are defined in $THEME->sheets array.

Yes, if you have a nice parent theme like custom_corners you can set

$THEME->parent = 'custom_corners';

and if you don't need it you can as well leave $THEME->parent=''; and $THEME->parentsheets = false;

The basic idea is explained in http://docs.moodle.org/en/Theme_basics#The_standard_theme