Assignment Permission: View other students Assignments

Assignment Permission: View other students Assignments

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Number of replies: 12
Greetings All-
I am teaching an Intermediate Moodle courses and all the participants are fellow teachers. I often use the forum as a vehicle for participants to "turn in" assignments so everyone can view but I really like using the quick grade features in the Assignment tool to expedite grading. I would, however, like all the students to have the ability to view all submitted assignments but not grade them. I thought granting each participant "non-editing teacher" status and Prohibiting Grading would do it. But no luck when I tested this out. I also messed with adjusting some permissions and still can not get this to work.

I am using v1.9.2+ and would like to add the following permission to all my students: the ability to view all other students submitted assignments.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Deb Burdick-Hinton

Re: Assignment Permission: View other students Assignments

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Would it not serve the same purpose for you just to grade the assignments submitted via the forum by turning on forum rating?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Thanks. Yes that is a good way to do. I do that and have done that, but gets difficult when students submit attachments and tracking resubmitted assignments and changes is a lot more difficult in the forum. And since this is a course designed to teach teachers about moodle, I like to use a variety of tool. Plus I am trying to learn more about permissions and thought this would be a good application but am finding that they are not very user friendly. So if anyone knows how to adjust the permissions on assignments I am all ears (er...eyes)

by Paul Holden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Moodle Workplace team Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Deb,

From the looks of it, users need the mod/assignment:grade capability to be able to view assignment submissions - this probably means you won't be able to grant them the capability to view submissions without being able to grade them mixed

If you want to experiment with roles and capabilities, from within your course administration menu select Assign roles > Override permissions and select a role that you want to toggle.

Paul
In reply to Paul Holden

by Paul Fynn -
Thanks Deb, for the query, and Paul for the answer - very timely as I have two teachers seeking the same functionality.

Intuitively I expected that the capability 'view assignments' would allow students to see each others work, and hit the same problem (anybody know what that particular 'view' capability does?).

Certainly 'assignment: grade' does the job - however, even with 'no grade' as a n assignment setting students still seem to have feedback capability. At an individual level the (ir)relevant columns can be hidden, but I haven't found a way to set this for students.

If anybody can shed further light on this, it would be helpful, otherwise thank you both for anticipating, and resolving, my problem.

PaulF

In reply to Paul Holden

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Bummer. I am really trying to find a way to use Permissions more but this is the second time I have tried to use it only to find out I could not. Oh well. I would imagine they are working on making improvements all the time.

Along those lines - it would sure be nice for students to be able to assume the Instructor role just for one entire block so they could make it their own and set up learning activities for their fellow students just within that block. I will keep on dreaming!

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Could they not have a course to do that? Or would that clutter up your Moodle too much? Which I do understand smile
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Paul Fynn -

One option would be to set up a metacourse which uses the same enrolements, and extend the student permissions to editing teacher there.

Alternatively you could create an 'editing student' user category, and fine tune the permissions, perhaps excluding delete.

by Kristin Darken -
Hello:

I work an an institution where we use Moodle as the LMS for our graduate-level educational program. Since we work with adult learners we are continually looking for ways to enable social learning. We have been using forums as a way for students to post assignments so they can be viewed by other students in the class - but grading and instructor feedback has been a problem (since the rating scale does not permit any comments - only an assignment of a grade). I, too, figured the expansion of roles/permissions from Moodle 1.7 + would enable us to start using the "assignment" feature - instead of forums for these written assignments - so instructor feedback would also be supported. Any chance the Moodle development team is working on expanding assignments to include the capability so students could be "permitted" to view all assignments - but only see instructor feedback and grades for their own?
In reply to Kristin Darken

by Mark Drechsler -
Hi Kristin,

Not sure about the plans to expand the Assignment module permissions to do what you're after, but another couple of ideas to keep in mind are...

1. Using a Database activity could work - allows students to see each other's submissions, allows the instructor to rate the posts and leave comments, and can be set up to allow something as simple as a file upload or a more complex structure. The down side is that it does take a bit more effort to set up, but it could be what you're looking for.
  2. Another one to keep in mind is the work David Mudrak is doing on redeveloping the Workshop module - another option once it is up and running that could be what you're after, and one that I can't wait to see when he gets it done!

Hope this helps,

Mark.

by Prav tend -

Hello Deb.

Did you find a sloution to the "student views other students assignments" issue.

We have the exact requirement and wasnt able to find any solution on the forums.

we have Moodle 1.9.7.

Thanks

Prav

In reply to Prav tend

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
NO I have not but Ben Reynolds link above looks promising. Originally posed for an earlier version but I plan to look at it in more detail when I get some time.