Assignment Feedback in User Grade View

Assignment Feedback in User Grade View

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Number of replies: 15
Greetings. I think it is great that feedback/comments added to an assignment show up when the student clicks on grades but I wish there was a way to hide/reveal this or choose for it not to show up. If you select inline commenting this can get huge, but you do not want to limit your comments on an online assignment because of what it does to the gradebook. I have searched the Assignment forum for a similar questions and am guessing there must be an easy way to adjust this or there would be a lot of posts. Thanks for "feedback" at your earliest convenience. Screen shot below of the userview of grades with assignment comments displayed. We use version 1.9.2+

Attachment AssignFeedbackInGrades.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deb Burdick-Hinton

Re: Assignment Feedback in User Grade View

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Does anyone have input on this? I hate limited the feedback I give students on their assignments but it makes the students grades a mess. This also completely eliminates my ability to use "in line comments". But I am certain there must be a way to disable or work around this or everyone would be screaming - but maybe not a lot of folks log in as students to see their view?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Have you tried the Assignment Rubrics activity module? It lets you make notes/comments for each item in the rubric. The comments then only show up when the student looks at the assignment page. When they look at their grades, the feedback will be empty unless you also add a comment there.
In reply to AL Rachels

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
That sounds great. It that part of the core moodle or a plug in? I am all eyes and ears. Thank you for your input!
In reply to AL Rachels

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Hi - I found this. I will have to install it on our test server and see if it works.

I still think, however, improvements need to be made in order to override automatically posting all comments in the grade.

Thanks

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Hello All-
Any comments on plans to fix this? I realize the rubric module exists and will get that set up on a test server when time permits but many faculty already have this integrated and use "in line" comments frequently so we really need a fix sooner.

Some options for a fix - appreciate your input:
1. A way to disable comments from showing up in gradebook (not the most desirable but a better option than we have now)
2. Best Option (in my humble opinion) if any feedback gets longer than a few lines it is automatically "hot linked" so you can click on the link to show the rest of the feedback or maybe with all the great "mouse over" options in the 1.9.5 gradebook you could "mouse over" to view or just click and be taken into the Assignment itself to view comments.
3. Have the ability to add "grader view" comments and "assignment comments". The grader comments will show up in the grade report and the more detailed comments will show up on the assignments.

I really think this should be addressed and would love some input on what you would suggest I do to try and make this happen. This challenge combined with the gradebook challenges is really dimishing enthusiasm among some on our campus for moodle and i am trying to do all the damage control I can in the mean time. Many have spent a lot of time setting up assignments to give detailed comments and when all of those comments (especially "in line" )show up in the gradebook it is a mess. Thanks for any feedback.

Rubric Module question: What versions is this stable in. Just want to hear from folks who are actually using it on a production server.

Thanks!

by Chris Potter -
I know this is one of my pet peeves (though I agree when limited, it can provide a nice feedback area). Sorry that this is an older post, but I ran across it today after I had put together a hack for pre 1.9.5 grade book that just printed a link to the activity (I just did it for assignments) that they could click on and get the feedback via the activity itself. This cleaned things up considerably. With some changes to 1.9.5, I haven't yet found a similar solution. I think there should be an option in the user profile ultimately, but I understand that the profile is already quite full of options (perhaps an advanced option or per course setting). I like your #2 idea. smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Chris Potter

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -

Chris - would you be willing to share your hack? Thanks!

by Sharon Goodson -
Yes, Chris, I'd be interested too. Also, are you using the new gradbook yet?
In reply to Sharon Goodson

by Chris Potter -
I'll see if I can figure out the updated version of what we had. I didn't expect such a dramatic change for that particular code (I should know better, considering the overhaul the GB received). Things are in between semesters here, so unfortunately for me, I have updates, students to load, and making sure all the courses are active that need to be. smile Joy!

I'll do my best to get back to you (and you also Deb!). Thanks for the interest.
In reply to Chris Potter

by Chris Potter -
Okay, figured it out for 1.9.5... note it's not a "fix", but more a hack. smile

Here's the code I changed:

Line 323 or so:

/// Feedback
if (empty($grade_grade->feedback) or (!$this->canviewhidden and $grade_grade->is_hidden())) {
$data['feedback']['class'] = $class.' feedbacktext';
$data['feedback']['content'] = ' ';

} else {
if (substr_count($fullname, '/assignment/') > 0) {
$data['feedback']['content'] = 'For feedback, click '.$fullname;
} else {
$data['feedback']['content'] = format_text($grade_grade->feedback, $grade_grade->feedbackformat);
}
}

/// Range
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Chris Potter

by Chris Potter -
*sigh*... I just realized I never said which file I modified.

The code above should be placed in the specified location in the file located at:

moodle\grade\report\user\lib.php

Sorry!
In reply to Chris Potter

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Thanks Chris - I will test this out on our 1.9.5 test server and let you know how it goes. Thanks!

by Matt Gibson -
The scrolling div for feedback in the grading popup which I implemented in a patch here would solve this nicely. I'll hack a patch for it this week. Do you think it would work for you?
In reply to Matt Gibson

by Chris Potter -
I think it could... I guess I'm looking for a straight-forward, non-cluttered version of the grade book view. The feedback is nice (and valuable, I certainly won't question that!), but can make it difficult to efficiently view the scores (and/or print them). This would provide a neater version, but wouldn't print well I'm guessing (am I incorrect here?). I think a link back to the original feedback would be better, and cleaner, but that's my opinion, and I'm not an instructor, I'm an admin, so I don't use the grade book every day for this stuff. I'd like to find a screen shot of what I had before to see if it makes sense to others.
In reply to Chris Potter

by Matt Gibson -
Good point about the printing. It would be simple to make a button that would toggle the effect on and off so it would print OK if needed.