Answers to some common questions

Answers to some common questions

by Chardelle Busch -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Core developers
Hi everyone,

I haven't been keeping up with this forum lately, but thought I would post some answers to some common questions. This pertains only to the certificate module that does not have the word "FAT" in the name.

Please refer to the certificate help files and the certificate documentation (see the link in the intro to this forum) for information regarding the certificate features and tips on how to customize your certificate.

1. Certificate issues not updating: Once a certificate has been issued to a student, the vital information is saved to the db and does NOT change. The reason is for verification. Each certificate is issued its own unique code number, and the certificate can then be validated by entering this code using the certificate validation block. The vital information that is issued on a certificate should NOT ever change! This is for security reasons. Imagine the confusion of validating a certificate if the information changes in the database.

If you want to re-issue a certificate with new information, for example if your students are allowed to re-take a quiz, then my suggestion is that you simply add another certificate to the course for the second quiz attempt. You could add a label above the certificate telling them to use that link to get their new certificate for the second attempt.

2. Locking the certificate: The certificate locking code was added by Mike Churchward and is not being maintained. If it does not work for you, you might want to try the Activity Locking code hack (see the conditional activities forum) instead. Keep in mind that this code hacks two core moodle files and those files must be updated for every moodle version. All of this will go away with Moodle 2.0 and the new core conditional activities code.

Dan Marsden is working on the certificate now and will most likely be the one to update it for Moodle 2.0.

If you ever need custom coding done for the certificate or updating the Activity Locking code, you can always go to my profile and send me a message.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chardelle Busch

Re: Answers to some common questions

by Lester Cunningham -
Chardelle,

I tried to send a message from your profile without success. We have spoken in the past about problems of issuing more than one certificate for a course. This is a common requirement for business use and for staff in the NHS in particular.

Our users need to re-take the same course on an annual or bi-annual schedule. We do not work to an academic calendar and courses are run on a rolling basis. For example medical staff need to undertake a refresher course in 'Infection Control' every 12 months. Although their quiz attempts are recorded within the final quiz of the course, the certificate displays the date collected, not the date passed. We are then unable to offer new certificates for re-takes because the un-locking criteria has already been met. We have tried reseting a course, but when a user re-enrols onto the same course, all their data re-appears with nothing gained.

1) Can the certificate pick up the date of achieving a pass mark instead of the date received?

2) Can the locking criteria incorporate a date parameter such as: issue, or re-issue certificate only if Pass mark achieved within the past 12 months?

3) There is no problem having just the one certificate per course but maybe the date recorded in the database could be updated to reflect a pass mark achieved on a later date.

I would be grateful for any advice, suggestions or offers to customise the certificate module to meet our requirements.

Thanks.
In reply to Lester Cunningham

by Jeevan Reddy -
Hi-- I don't want to change the DB data, i just want to have the certificate re-printed to the adobe file, which is protected. Basically, we realized that the certificate was created with a no in the print date field, and we need the date.

The database has correctly stored the date, I do not wish to change the date, I just want it to print on a new copy of the pdf.

How do I do that, should be a simple hack...

thanks!
In reply to Jeevan Reddy

by Chardelle Busch -
Just modify the cert to print the date, then click the review button and the date will be there.
In reply to Chardelle Busch

by Gary Lyon -
I am experiencing the same problem where our courses must be retaken regularly by employees, but the certificate only shows what I presume is the date of the first time an employee printed the certificate the course.

I am not a programmer, but is there a snippet of php that could be added that would add the option of "date of last completion" to the Text Options/Print Date option field and cause the certificate to print the date/grade of the most recent course completion?
In reply to Gary Lyon

by Dustin Elliott -

I have a similar situation but adding a second certificate is not a feasible solution. The certificates we issue expire every two years at which point the student will need to retake the course to get a new certificate with a new date. Therefore, I would have to add a new certificate to the course every 2 years. After 4 years there would be 3 certificates, after 6 there would be 4...See the problem?

I would be fine with a solution where 2 years (or an amount of time I could set) from the issue date the certificates were deleted out of the database.

How about making a report that would list all certificates with an issue date prior to a specified date and then allow the returned records to be deleted? Automating something like that to run once a day, week, or month would be great but not totally necessary.

In reply to Lester Cunningham

by Chardelle Busch -
Hi Lester,

I didn't get a message from you. I just sent you one.