What rights do non-editing teachers have?

What rights do non-editing teachers have?

by Gustav W Delius -
Number of replies: 8

It is currently nowhere documented what rights non-editing teachers will have. I think it is important to know. Does anybody know? Especially with respect to groups? Or does anyone have an opinion on what the rules should be?

I think there is currently some inconsistency between modules. For example I think the rules followed by the wiki module, see http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=7437#35116, are different from those followed by the assignment or forum modules.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gustav W Delius

Re: What rights do non-editing teachers have?

by Bryan Williams -
Good point! I always assumed non-editing teachers had the same privileges as someone with editing permissions, but just could not create new activities. What happens when a non-editing teacher is put in a group? Are they restricted like a student, or can they see across groups?  

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The original idea for non-editing teachers was that they are what we would call "tutors" here in the Australian University system. ie:

1. not able to change the structure of the course
  2. able to grade
  3. able to facilitate within activities
  4. when assigned to a group, they are restricted to that group and are only able to perform 2 and 3 with that group

Note that this also works for a cohort situation where you have a master teacher creating the course, and various cohorts going through with their own teachers.

As far as I know all the modules using groups comply to these rules, including Wiki - is there anything that doesn't?   Of course, all this is a interim measure until the semi-mythical Roles system can be developed.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Gustav W Delius -

Point 4 needs a bit more clarification because the case when a non-editing teacher is not in a group is handled differently by different modules.

Forum has:

5. when not assigned to a group, they can not do anything in activities that are set to "Separate Groups". They can do no more than an ordinary student when the activity is set to "Visible Groups".

Wiki has:

5. when not assinged to a group they can perform 2 and 3 in all groups.

Which one do we want? The wiki convention appears to be quite sensible.

In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Ray Kingdon -
Ahem, I think the Dialogue and Exercise module treat non-editing teachers in the same way as teachers. To get the distinction the isteacher() calls need to be changed to isteacheredit() in a couple of instances.

In theory I agree with Martin's "definition" of tutors which "locks" them into a group. However, in practical terms, having your tutors hop in and out of tutorial groups has a certain attraction, especially as tutors are inclined to stand in for each other. I'd err on the side of flexibility I think. That is, allow non-editing teachers/tutors to hop groups.

I can also think of situations here where the ability of non-editing teachers to "spy" on a group which is not their own would be very useful (from a staff development point of view). I think they (tutors) can be treated like adults and not be denied that
facility.
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Gustav W Delius -
Ray, I agree with you. That is an argument for using the wiki conventions everywhere: tutors not explicitly assigned to a particular group can tutor all groups.

by Jaswant Tak -

Sorry for reopening the old thread, I am working with latest Moodle 3.2. I have created a course with separate group setting. Setup two different Groups (G1 & G2).  Enrolled two non-editing teachers (T1 & T2). Have added T1 => G1 and T2 => G2.

Now for each activity I have setup Access Restriction by group.

But now when I login as T1, I can see all the course activities, even T1 can access all the activities (including G2 )

Thats I think because the Access Restirction is only applicable for students not for non-editing teacher, correct? Cant it be applied to non-editing teacher as well. Because if it is applied for non-editing teachers as well than it will surely remove the setting up Grouping task, No?

Thanks

Jaswant

In reply to Jaswant Tak

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Check the permissions.

In particular, look at how the 'Access all groups' permission is set. (Non-editing teach has it by default, but it sounds like you need to remove it.)

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

According to MDL-55981 if your Moodle 3.2 is a new installation then  by default non-editing teachers should not be able to access all groups, but if it is an upgraded site then they can access all groups and you will need to, as Tim says, remove the capability moodle/site:accessallgroups

Average of ratings: Useful (1)