Moodle 1.4 Beta

Moodle 1.4 Beta

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 28
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Moodle 1.4 Beta is ready and I've branched MOODLE_14_STABLE in CVS.

Please bang on it while I'm sleeping and I'll make a wider announcement tomorrow.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Moodle 1.4 Beta

by Ray Lawrence -
No Exercise module in this release.
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
No, It's already some releases ago.
Personaly I love the excercise module more than some other modules: I think it has great educational values.
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I am still hoping that we can convert Exercise into a sub-module of the cool new Assignment module (not finished yet but being worked on).

Note that Exercise is still available in the CVS version and on the modules download page.

by Tom Murdock -
This time in the development cycle is always "way" exciting.

I mumble to myself, rubbing my hands together.

I have to get outside more.

smile
-Tom
In reply to Tom Murdock

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Don't trouble yourself Tom, I've been outside and its not that exciting smile

by John Gone -
Congrats on 1.4 Beta ! I upgraded to it so I could bang on it a bit and I broke my Moodle, http://eyrespace.com/weather/. I seem to have a problem with upgrades likely due to all the weird customizing that I do. I fail to move all the necessary oddball bits over to the new site.

ODDBALL BITS:
1. Language file is old custom version
2. Have a large directory existing within my Moodle that still works fine of course
3. Custom theme

At this point I'd be happy if I could simply get my old site working properly as I've messed it up and can no longer access it. I've messed up the mysql database probably as the old Moodle is referencing the new Moodle address. I've since deleted the new Moodle and need to repair or revert to the old database state. Can anybody advise? I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
John

PS Hope I'm not out of line using this forum, http://moodle.org/bugs/ is for bugs. This isn't a bug, this is a problem caused by operator error.
In reply to John Gone

by John Gone -
So I've deleted the new version and receive the following message when I try to access my old site:

Could not find this file: /home/eyrespac/public_html/weather1/lib/setup.php

Are you sure all your files have been uploaded?

The site weather1 no longer exists so does this mean database corruption? I've tried repairing but no luck.

I can't go to :http://eyrespace.com/weather/admin/ as the previous message occurs there.

Anyone have any suggestions?

In reply to John Gone

by John Gone -
Progress Report:

Went back to my config.php file and discovered that I'd left my

$CFG->wwwroot = 'http://eyrespace.com/weather';

at the previous changed setting of

$CFG->wwwroot = 'http://eyrespace.com/weather1';

which explained my previous post.

Now: when I click on a resource like this link I receive the following error message:

Error: unknown type of resource

I assume this is because the database has changed to reflect the new 1.4 Beta version.

I'm assuming the way to fix this is to re-install the 1.4 Beta and this will allow for the new resource type mentioned in the error message?
In reply to John Gone

by John Gone -
Uploaded 1.4 Beta again and this time no problems. I think this may have to do with a bad upload with too many interruptions. I'm guessing that frequent dis-connections caused some files to not get uploaded.

1.4 Beta looks good and now I can get on with testing.
In reply to John Gone

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Glad you made it John! I followed your problem but couldn't offer you any helpverlegen.

Badly uploaded files, yes, possible of course.

by Shankar Venkatagiri -
Hi:
I've installed this version for my course here in a management school. I have a problem which I appreciate any pointers about: this is what I get when I access moodle:

Fatal error: Class adorecordset: Cannot inherit from undefined class adodb_base_rs in /srv/www/htdocs/moodle/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php on line 2263

Any help? Please mail me at shankar@iimb.ernet.in. It's rather urgent. I also apologise if this is not the forum to post my problem.

Thanks in advance -
Shankar
In reply to Shankar Venkatagiri

by Martin Dougiamas -
Shankar, I'm quite sure this isn't Moodle.  I've seen stuff like that happen sometimes when using a PHP accelerator. The fix for me was to halt Apache, clear the PHP cache, the restart Apache.

by Shankar Venkatagiri -
Hi Martin:
I did some more investigation on this.

I suspect this has to do with the fact that I am running PHP 4.3.3 on SuSE Linux 9.0. Now SuSE may not have released a binary for this PHP 5 - this is a problem. Can an alternate mechanism be enabled until there is a release? Meanwhile I shall revert to the Moodle 9th July release - from the release notes, the compatibility with PHP5 came later on.

Shankar

by Martin Dougiamas -
Shouldn't matter ... any version of Moodle should run fine on PHP 4.

Accelerators are add-on software that make PHP run faster ... are you using an accelerator?  If you go to the Moodle admin page and click 'PHP info' then you'll get a lot of information ... near the bottom of the top block you will see stuff about an accelerator if you have one.

Q for Martin-Need a 1 word answer

by N Hansen -
Martin-I've seen you mention that 1.4 stable will be released Tuesday in one place and Monday in another. Which is it?

by Shankar Venkatagiri -
It's a Catch 22: I cannot load _any_ pages of my Moodle site. Also, can anybody help me with clearing PHP cache? I'm a lame software engineer who goes by clearly written instructions, but this time around, a web search on "clearing PHP cache" has left me completely clueless. Should I be disabling it altogether, and if so, is there an easy way?

Thanks in advance -
Shankar

by Martin Dougiamas -
Make a file on your server called phpinfo.php containing this:

<?php  phpinfo()   ?>

then look at it with a web browser.

by Shankar Venkatagiri -

Thanks for the tip, Martin. I did run the script to get an exhaustive listing of PHP details. It says something about Zend 1.3 (the page was prepared with it), and I'm running PHP version 4.3.3. Any idea what I do next? Honestly, I want to do away with this Zend thing and see if things work.

Thanks -
Shankar

by Shankar Venkatagiri -
I think the problem in my case was with the Adodb library. I copied an older version of the library into this (back from May 2004) and the site is back up! Now I know this is a hasty fix, but the error message (inheritance from ADODB_BASE_RS) seems to be correct.

Shankar

by Tim Allen -

I think I might have this problem too.  I am using the ion cube php accelerator and I got the error above at first, and now I am getting the following on the themes page (on 1.4beta):

<>Warning>: main(moodle/config.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/html/myclass/theme/index.php on line 75

I know how to restart apache but not how to "clear the php cache".  I'm sure it is simple, but I am just a beginner, having just set up my own LAMP server for the first time.

So, can someone please explain to me how to clear the php cache?

Thanks a lot in advance,  smile

Tim.

In reply to Tim Allen

by Martin Dougiamas -
If you have ioncube accelerator then this should do it:

1. apachectl stop
  2. rm /tmp/phpa*
  3. apachectl start

by Tim Allen -

Thanks a lot Martin - but that didn't fix the problem.  mixed

Can anyone understand why it is saying "moodle/config.php" in the error message (see the screenshot below) when my directory is "myclass"?  I have checked and rechecked config.php and I'm sure it is correct.

Any advice would really be appreciated.  approve

PS This error seems to only appear on the theme configuration page.

Tim.

In reply to Tim Allen

by Martin Dougiamas -
You have accidentally added a folder called "moodle" into your theme folder.  Delete it.    wink

by Tim Allen -

Of course, I should have seen it myself shy blush black eye

Thanks a lot once again Martin smile approve