Backup fails at Zipping backup stage

Backup fails at Zipping backup stage

by Lauren Panton -
Number of replies: 12
One of our courses fails at the 'zipping backup' stage. It simply stops and does not back anything up. Does anyone have ideas?

Thanks, Lauren
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lauren Panton

Re: Backup fails at Zipping backup stage

by Gerald Grow -
I am here with exactly the same problem.

Courses typically go through the backup process and produce a "Continue" button at the end.

One course has started hanging before the end.

It does not produce a backup file. Or else it produces an empty backup file in the Temp folder.

Help anyone????
In reply to Gerald Grow

by Dave Murray -

I ran into this before. I was trying to do backups with no users and no user data.

The problem was resolved by just backing up everything and avoiding any optional choices. 

This worked for me on Moodle 1.8.4. I'm now using 1.9.2+ and so far all course backups have been very smooth.

I hope that helps...

In reply to Dave Murray

by Gerald Grow -
Thank you for that suggestion, Dave, but I've already tried that, and it did not work for me. Even with no options chosen, the backup stops.
In reply to Gerald Grow

by Eva Barbara Bodogan -
I am experiencing exactly the same problem. Some solution would be very nice...
I ask our server admin jump on it, too.
In reply to Lauren Panton

by Larry Elchuck -
Is this a scheduled backup?
Are these failing courses large?
What is your environment?
(eg. if running MAMP or other prepackagrd version of moodle your settings in php.ini may be too small.)

In the following discussion (http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=95768), near the bottom, a colleague of mine (James MacLean) wrote:

"I have found that there may be a 30 second timeout getting kicked off. I have php.ini set to max_execution_time = 900 , but the code appears to be reseting this timeout with set_time_limit(). I have just tried putting set_time_limit(900); in backup/backup_scheduled.php in the function schedule_backup_launch_backup in 3 places and so far it is running longer then before."

This may be your issue. More info is in his following couple of posts.

May not resolve your issue, but worth a look.

L

In reply to Larry Elchuck

by Gerald Grow -
In response to Larry:

This is a manual backup. The failing course has 28 students in it and around 200 Hot Potatoes exercises. A nearly identical course backs up fine.

The environment is a commercial shared server (1and1.com) running Apache.

The php.ini settings have already been enlarged to include:
max_execution_time = 2400
memory_limit = 384M

OK: I followed the suggestion and inserted "set_time_limit(900)" -- but with the same result.

Here's an error message I get (it is repeated many times) when I try to do a standard backup, without changing any default options:

• Copying user files
Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: Permission denied in /homepages/40/d178811681/htdocs/newsroom101/moodle/backup/lib.php on line 282 I have checked the permissions on the course files using FTP, and they all look identical to those of another course that is working fine.

Still stumped.

In reply to Gerald Grow

by Larry Elchuck -
Gerald

In your case, now that you have provided an error message, this is obviously a permissions issue and not a timing issue.

The permissions of the folder to which you are trying to put this backup file need to be writable by the www user. Check to see if this is indeed the case.

larry
In reply to Larry Elchuck

by Gerald Grow -
Yes, I'd already checked that folder's permissions -- and that does not seem to be the problem.

The backup folder has the full permissions, same as all the other folders -- rwxrwxrwx. (Every folder in the installation has these full permissions.)

That backup folder already contains some older zipped backups, so it used to accept them without a problem, and the backup used to work.

So I am puzzled by the error message. Is there something else it could mean?
In reply to Gerald Grow

by HJWUCGA INC. -
looks like permission is fine, so check the owners of the folder (chown)... make sure it's www or something similar
In reply to HJWUCGA INC.

by Gerald Grow -
I'm embarrassed to say this, but I don't know how to find out the owners of a folder.

I'm on a Mac using Interarchy as the FTP program, and I don't see it as an option there. The basic tools on the web host, 1and1.com, do not give out ownership, as far as I can determine.

I have no problem finding the permissions. How do I find ownership?

In reply to Gerald Grow

by Gerald Grow -
OK, I've gone through Putty to find ownership. Except for logs, which show "root," all the folders show the same owner, "ftpusers." This is the owner on both the folders in the courses that are backing up, and in the course that is not backing up.

Unless I'm missing something, ownership doesn't look like the problem.

But a new possibility occurred to me.

When I add or update course files, do I HAVE to go through Moodle's Edit/Upload procedure, or can I just FTP the revised file into the folder containing the file I want to replace?

Does Moodle's rather ponderous click-to-upload procedure do anything other than upload the file? Is there database management going on at the same time?

If so, I might have skipped over a step in updating a course by copying modified files directly to the data folders, then accessing the modified files from inside Moodle.

Any thoughts?