Wiki Course Format?

Wiki Course Format?

by Colin Matheson -
Number of replies: 5
I have been looking at teachers who use blogs (edublogs) and wikis (wikispaces) as their classroom webpage/student collaborative environment.
I think that interface works for teachers, but those tools lack the full CMS features of Moodle.
Is there a way a Moodle course front page could be a wiki and/or a giant editable space like a label? Kind of like how social format puts a forum in the front?

This might make it easier for teachers used to wikis transfer to Moodle and gain access to new features.

It might also a nice way for new teachers to get into Moodle if the front page of the course is just one big label.

Any ideas/info would be appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Colin Matheson

Re: Wiki Course Format?

by Chad Outten -
Hey Colin! i understand where your teachers are coming from & wanting to ease them into moodle.

you can simply add a wiki activity to your site front page. using site administrator role...

+go to site admin block / Front Page / Front Page Settings
+ensure 'Include a Topic Section' is enabled = Yes
+set default frontpage role to 'Student'
+save
+go to front page topic section
+turn editing on
+add an activity / select wiki activity
+et voila!

yes - if you want to make the wiki more visible than a little icon + link, you cld also add a resource / insert a label, perhaps upload a larger image & hyperlink this to your wiki.

hope this helps your teachers. Chad
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Chad Outten

by Allen Moore -
Slightly different but related question. Is there someway to get something like the FrontPage Topic Section on the main page for a class so that there is a section that is always there?
In reply to Allen Moore

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Yes- if your course is set to topics (in the admin block within the course) you have Topic 0 at the top which you can use as a static section. Or if it is in weekly format you have a section at the top also. Is that what you meant?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Allen Moore -
can this be done for a class in social format?