Training Trainers

Training Trainers

by Yvonne Emmett -
Number of replies: 6
Dia dhuit,
I am trying to put together resources to support trainers coming to Moodle for the first time. In particular I would like to put together two training modules: one on e-tutoring with specific focus on discussion forums; and one on online course design, i.e. transforming a traditional face-to-face course for online/blended delivery. Obviously, I'd prefer not to have to re-invent the wheel and I'm sure lots of you have already grappled with the need for such resources in your own institutions, so if anyone was willing to share insights and/or materials I would be most grateful.
Kind regards,
Yvonne
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Yvonne Emmett

Re: Training Trainers

by Godfrey Sovis -
Yvonne,
This is a bright idea which will help a lot of teacher trainers who are novices to on-line course designing. It seems that you have experience in this domain. Please go ahead with your great idea. I have no doubt that a lot of people will appreciate and benefit from it.
Thanks
Godfrey

Re: Training Trainers/ PD for Teaching & Learning in Moodle

by Joyce Seitzinger -
Dia's Muire dhuit, Yvonne,

Indeed an excellent idea. In fact, I think this is an area where perhaps we as Moodle Community can have more discussion and collaboration. Possibly needs another forum here on Moodle.org?

I can tell you about one of our current developments here in New Zealand. Our institution is a member of an accord of 6 polytechnics which work together and a group of eLearning Advisors in those institutions are currently jointly developing and delivering a suite of pd offerings which we have called the Technology for Learning Series.

These pd offerings are based around Moodle and how to teach & learn with Moodle, but knowledge & skills gained would serve in other environments as well. They are about 4-5 weeks long and will take staff about 2-3 hours a week. All courses are based on learning communities, encouraging staff to share experiences, and learning activities are designed to be directly applied in practice. Cohorts consist of academic staff members from the various institutions. And the facilitation duties are shared between the various eLearning Advisors. All courses are delivered online.

This allow us to
  • run the courses more frequently,
  • share the pd load across 6 institutions
  • provide flexible access to pd for our teachers, who have heavy teaching loads and full schedules
  • learn in larger, more sensible cohorts,
  • give teachers the online student experience
  • provides insurance for eLearning expertise and pd to an institution, even if eL staff leave.

Currently we have:
  • Introduction to Technologies for Learning
  • Online Facilitation
  • Bring the Bling to your course

Starting in next 2 months:
  • Designing your online/blended course
  • Develop your personal learning network
Starting this year:
  • Online Assessment Strategies
  • Using Moodle to enhance your teaching & learning
The Online Facilitation course was developed earlier as part of a government-funded eCapability project. It is an OER and can be downloaded here: http://oer.repository.ac.nz/
I have to say though, I designed that 2 years ago, and since we've run it, we've made many improvements. Also some of the links have expired. I will check with the accord to see whether it would be all right to share the next iteration.

Cheers,
Joyce

In reply to Joyce Seitzinger

by Yvonne Emmett -

Go raibh míle maith agat Joyce,

This is an excellent resource - thank you so much for sharing! And in that spirit I offer my own humble contribution - a training note prepared since my original post (minus screnshots which made the document too large for the 100Kb attachment limit). This provides guidance for trainers on how to support distance learners using the discussion forums. If it was of any assistance to anyone I would be most happy to know.

Kind regards,

Yvonne

by Paula Clough -

This is excellent, would you like to share in the Moodle Exchange...other glossary?

The Exchange is under the "My Courses" Link at the top of the website.

Paula Clough cool

In reply to Joyce Seitzinger

by Paula Clough -

Very nice, Joyce.  Would you like to share in the Moodle Course exchange?

Paula Clough cool