Default in assignment module

Default in assignment module

by Warren Linds -
Number of replies: 4
I have a problem in setting up groupings (I posted this on 'groups' over two months ago and have not had any responses so I am assuming people over there are not able to help and I see more help over here so am re=posting here in the hopes someone can help as this is getting more and more frustrating!)

I just can't believe no one else has faced this problem I describe:

I create groupings and create an assignment for a particular group. I have clicked 'separate groups' and chosen a group for the assignment in the assignment module. I then go to the assignment and see that it is fine. However, there is a little drop down box in the assignment that allows me to choose for "All participants' or "the X group" to view. In this , it shows 'xgroup'. However, if I leave the moodle site, and then re-enter, "all participants' is now chosen. This is apparently the default. This doesn't make any sense. Why would I choose separate groups and a particular group in the first place and then have to keep re-choosing the particular group in the assignment? How can this be corrected.

My IT tech person informs me this has something to do with the default mechanism in moodle that defaults to All Participants.

Is this a bug, a general problem, or what?

I have reported this in tracker....again, over 2 months ago, and yet have seen no action on this.
This is very frustrating, as you can imagine, can someone help me on this.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Warren Linds

Re: Default in assignment module

by Ray Lawrence -
As you might want to see all participants or those in any group on visiting the activity this seems like a reasonable default to me.

You mentioned groupings in your introduction above... do you mean groups or groupings?

Which version of Moodle?

What's the number of the tracker issue?
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Warren Linds -
Using groupings. Moodle 1.9. Can you tell me if the students not in a grouping can see an assignment for another grouping when the drop down box says "All Participants" because that is the main issue for me.

I am not sure I am communicating what is happening. When I go to the assignment I just see the drop down box saying All Participants. However there is no list of "all participants" there. There is only the list of the participants in the grouping I have assigned to this assignment. Then I change it from "All participants" to the grouping # I want.

The tracker number is MDL-16923. I have put all the screen shots in there.

Thanks.
In reply to Warren Linds

by Ray Lawrence -
Groups and Groupings are quite different.

Groups alone do not control if a group member may see an activity e.g. an assignment.
If I recall correctly "All participants" here will be limited to the members of the groups that, in turn, are allocated to the grouping.

If you tick "Available for group members only" in the Groupings settings for the activity you will only see the students who have access to the activity in the grading area.
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Warren Linds -
OK, then that drop down box is confusing to me.

There are two choices in the drop down box. One is "All participants" (which, before I read your post I took to mean all participants in the course) and the other is a particular grouping name (which I took to mean the specific grouping I had set up for this particular assignment). So in my setting up of this it sounds like All Participants and Grouping X are the same thing! Is that correct? IF it is correct, then that is why it seems so confusing!