How can I print apostrophes, quotation marks?

How can I print apostrophes, quotation marks?

by Rosemary Camilleri -
Number of replies: 16
Hi, Friends,
How can I get the text of my HotPot quizzes to show apostrophes and quotation marks? I have selected the button on Other called Include Keypad for non-Roman and special Roman characters. But it does nothing; or I haven't figured out the trick for finding the hidden keypad.

Instead of an apostrophe or quotation marks, I get a string of characters.

Also, if there were any instructions at all on how to build HotPot quizzes, I never succeeded in finding them. I searched FAQs and the Half-Baked website in vain. I guess I'm just dense. I build by trial and error, mostly error.

Thank you for your help.
Rosemary Camilleri
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rosemary Camilleri

Re: How can I print apostrophes, quotation marks?

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Rosemary,

> How can I get the text of my HotPot quizzes
> to show apostrophes and quotation marks?

I think you just type them in - but obviously you have tried that so probably I have not understood what kind of quiz you want to create and where you want to put the apostrophes and quotation marks. Please could you supply that information.

> I have selected the button on Other called
> Include Keypad for non-Roman and special
> Roman characters. But it does nothing

Do you want your students to input apostrophes and quotation marks as part of their answers in a JCloze or JQuiz question? The keypad is "smart", in that it only displays non-ascii characters that are used in the answers, plus any that you specify yourself (in the box marked "Always include these characters in the keypad" in the "Other" tab of the Options -> Configure Output dialog box) Since apostrophes and quotation marks are ascii characters they will not be included in the keypad unless you specify them.

> Also, if there were any instructions at all
> on how to build HotPot quizzes ...

An excellent place to start is the standard tutorials for Hot Potatoes 6:
If you could upload the quiz to my server, and explain a little more clearly what you are attempting to do, we could probably offer more useful help smile
all the best
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Rosemary Camilleri -
Dear Gordon,
Thank you very much for your kind reply.

I was trying to put apostrophes, ampersands, and quotation marks into JMatch and JQuiz quiz questions themselves.

I strike the relevant key on my keyboard, and the ' & and the " show on the quiz-creation screen. But once I've loaded the quiz into Moodle, I open it and there are no ' or ". The ' and " disappear without even a space; the ampersand appeared as a string of, I presume, ASCII symbols.

I know what ASCII is, but I will need instructions on how to set an ASCII code that appears in my quiz question as ' or ".

I should have said, I have a Mac, G4, PPC; I run OS 10.5.5.

By the way, I had gone many times to the tutorial page you so kindly included. Since mine is a Mac, I studiously avoided the first tutorial because it's for "Windows."
Overall, it would have been helpful if I'd read it. I'm embarrassed. But, having taken that tutorial, I find its illustrations and even instructions don't match what shows on my screen. For example, when I'm making my first "two minute quiz," there's the instruction "answer the "this" question with "no." What "this" question?

I dutifully sent my check for $70 to the Half-Baked people, and I am grateful to have this quiz-making tool. But, since I teach graduate writing, apostrophes and quotations are going to be necessary.

Thank you so much for your help.
Rosemary

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Dear Rosemary,
thanks for the extra details. It sounds like you were able to input the characters OK, but they are not displaying in Moodle.

How about if you generate an html file of the quiz and use a browser to view that file on your hard disk - do the characters display as required?

Out of interest, what about very non-ascii characters such as Japanese. What happens if you copy and paste the following two characters which are for Kanazawa - the city where I live in Japan: 金沢. Do they display OK in your quiz?

I have a hunch this could be related to MDL-17136, but if you could upload the quizzes to my server (preferably the jqz amd jmt files), I will definitely be able to confirm whether it is something in Moodle, or something on your server that is causing this display problem.

thanks
Gordon

by Rosemary Camilleri -
Dear Gordon,
Thank you very much. I'm embarrassed to say I don't know how to upload a quiz to someone else's server. However, I did create and append to this message a short "quiz" in JQuiz.
This quiz is just some sentences that included (at clearly specified points within parentheses) apostrophes, quotation marks, and ampersands, all in several different boxes (areas) of the quiz question. I went to the "Other" area and checked "Include keypad for non-roman and special." ( I had previously checked that box and naively typed in the apostrophe, quotation mark, and ampersand, but it did no good.)

Anyway, Gordon, I saved the quiz and used Firefox to open it. The resulting htm file is appended as JQuizASCIIb.jqz. As you will see, the file contains nothing for the apostrophes and the quotation marks; but the ampersands are a string of characters.

I opened
JQuizASCIIb.jqz in Moodle and the problem persists.

Ihave not tried to enter the Japanese characters yet, but will do so.

Thank you for your kind help.
Rosemary

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Rosemary/Gordon. I know this is not a great deal of help to you but I uploaded your quiz to one of my test Moodles - 1.9 and using Firefox the attached screenshot is how it displays. (Incidentally you have sent the project file,ending in jqz not the htm file)
Attachment hotpot.png
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
As an addendum, I also converted and uploaded it as an htm file and it still worked for me sad
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Rosemary Camilleri -
Dear Mary,
Thank you. I just wish I had your system.
Rosemary

by Mary Cooch -
Well I'm sorry I can't help you with the apostrophe problem;perhaps Gordon will be along soon to do that. I can,however, advise on the 'This' question you were referring to in the J-Mix 2 minute tutorial. If you set up the exercise as they did, with a sentence starting with This then when you went to create webpage it would have asked you Should the word This always begin with a capital letter even if it isn't at the beginning of a sentence? To which for the purposes of the tutorial you'd reply No
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Cooch -
The attached screenshot is what I see for your Japanese characters one when uploaded to Moodle
Attachment japan.png
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Gordon Bateson -
Rosemary,
as Mary has kindly demonstrated (thanks Mary!), there seems to be no problem viewing apostrophes, quotation marks or non-ascii characters such as Japanese in your quizzes when they are adminstered from her Moodle 1.9. I can confirm that they display OK viewed from my server too.

Please could you confirm that the quizzes below, which are hosted on my server, display OK in your browser:
I am guessing that they display OK, in which case it seems there is something about your server which is garbling the output.

Please could you try the following:
  1. log on to your Moodle site as a Moodle administrator
  2. select Server -> PHP info in the "Site Administration" block on the site page
  3. search for "libxml2" on the "PHP info" page and report the the version number (e.g. 2.6.32) back to this forum
thanks !
Gordon

by Rosemary Camilleri -
Dear Gordon,
Thank you so much. I tried to go to your site, but Firefox gave me scary messages about an invalid security certificate. If you assure me that your server POWER2900 is genuine, and safe, I will override the messages.

However, your second suggestion may have identified the problem:

On the PHP info page, the only references I saw to libxml appeared
next to Configure Command, in a ten-line paragraph of arcane names.

I saw
after configure --enable-libxml
and
after /php I see this entry twice in succession, just as I have copied it here:
--with-libxml-dir=/opt/xml2' '--with-libxml-dir=/opt/xml2/' '

There were no version numbers anywhere.
Thank you so much for your help.

Rosemary

by Gordon Bateson -
> If you assure me that your server POWER2900 is genuine,
> and safe, I will override the messages

That server uses a self-signed security certificate, because I can't afford to pay out for a real security certificate. It is probably fine for you to override the warnings just for this little bit of testing smile

In the meantime I am working on a little PHP script that will detect if your xml library is compatible with Moodle in general and the HotPot module in particular.

regards
Gordon

by Rosemary Camilleri -
Dear Gordon,
Thank you so much. I opened the two quizzes on your site and they displayed the apostrophes, quotation marks, ampersands, and Japanese characters just fine.

Thank you again for all your kind efforts on my behalf.
Rosemary

by Gordon Bateson -

Thank you for trying that Rosemary.

I think we have no pretty much established that the cause of the problem is on your server. I strongly suspect that your PHP needs to be recompiled to use a different libxml module. I have you are not familiar with servers that probably sounds like techno-babble, in which case you will need to talk to the server adminsitrator or the help desk of your hosting site and ask them to help you.

Show them this discussion if you like and show them the issue on the Moodle Tracker: MDL-17136

regards
Gordon

by Rosemary Camilleri -
I would like to report that my server administrator, Chris Graves at MacHighway, "made a few changes to the server" following the link and info that Gordon so kindly provided.
HotPotatoes now shows the nonRoman characters just fine.

Thank you to all who helped so generously.

Rosemary Camilleri

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Rosemary Camilleri -
This is interesting: In JCloz, the apostrophe and the ampersand print in the text of the question, but NOT in the quiz's subtitle or instructions!

Attached is an .xml file of a JCloz quiz. It includes both the Japanese ideograms and the three characters that have been problematic for me.

AS you will see, the apostrophe and quotation mark print in the .xml file but the ampersand and the Japanese appear as strings. When the JCloz is uploaded to Moodle, the apostrophe and quotation marks print in the question text, but not in the title or instructions.

Curiouser and curiouser.
Rosemary